General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

constant current draw

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Default constant current draw

When changing battery, noticed slight sparking when attaching terminals. inserted digital ohm meter in series with battery lead and found 1 and a half amp draw (about 18 watts). this was with everything shut off. the hood light was not drawing current, as no bulb in it. Is this a normal quiescent current draw with everything shut off? This is a 1998 DeVille. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Default RE: constant current draw

Hi, I have a '99 Seville STS and I have a constant draw down on my battery, resulting in a dead battery in the morning. If you find out why let me know, I will do the same. Thanks. and good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM

I'm sure you guys know that the computers, alarms, LoJacks, radio memory, etc constantly draw power from the battery when the car is dormant. I don't know how much, but I put a trickle charger on cars I don't drive often.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 PM

There will still be some things drawing constant power from your battery..things like power trunks and perhaps your cd deck..try ejecting a cd with the car off it it ejects cd theres power comming from there as well. those things alone isnt much but other things together adds up.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:19 PM

Hi, I just found out what circuit is making my battery go dead, the audio circuit. I pulled the fuse and the next morning my car started. Something in the audio circuit is draining my battery, so I re-installed the fuse and disconnected the amplifier. I figure if my car starts it's the amp, if not it's in the head unit or the Cd changer.(hopefully)

Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 AM

I am also having a current draw on my 2000 Catera. It has NO ADDED AFTERMARKET CRAP, no after market junk whatsoever. Factory as the day it was new, 39,000 actual miles. People here are asking questions for tech guidance, not for stupid answers like "leave a trickle charger on every night". Do you think that GM or Cadillac or whoever engineered a car that would drain the starting battery overnite? What kind of **** would that be? The battery should not drain if the car is idle for days and days. Please have some tech advice or just move on. Your ride surely has more after market stuf tahn I can afford, I just want my car to get me to work and back EVERY day, not to impress my neighbors. WHY IS THE THING DRAINING MY NEW BATTERY????????

Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: keithm

I am also having a current draw on my 2000 Catera. It has NO ADDED AFTERMARKET CRAP, no after market junk whatsoever. Factory as the day it was new, 39,000 actual miles. People here are asking questions for tech guidance, not for stupid answers like "leave a trickle charger on every night". Do you think that GM or Cadillac or whoever engineered a car that would drain the starting battery overnite? What kind of **** would that be? The battery should not drain if the car is idle for days and days. Please have some tech advice or just move on. Your ride surely has more after market stuf tahn I can afford, I just want my car to get me to work and back EVERY day, not to impress my neighbors. WHY IS THE THING DRAINING MY NEW BATTERY????????
Great way to ask for help, I can't wait to assist you with your next issue[:'(]

The search function works quite well on this board.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_2096...y_/tm.htm#2096

Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 AM

yeah that was a poor post, it just comes from frustration of this car trouble i cannot fix (and I am a fair mechanic). I am taking the thing to cadillac today to let them give it a shot (at my wallet). this catera has been nothing but trouble for me. there are gremlins that move from place to place in the electronics and you never know when or where they will show up. dies, drains battery, security system won't let it start, etc etc etc, then all of a sudden the trouble will clear. of course when cadillac has it nothing will show up. we'll see but calling this car unreliable is a compliment to it.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM

KeithM,

I don't know why you don't like aftermarket products, and obviously that's your perogative. I don't care if you like it or not, as I don't care if people like their car stock or modified. What other people do, does not bother me. As for a $25 billion dollar aftermarket industry, it seems to point out that a lot of people like to customize cars. In any case, you're absolutely correct in saying that GM Engineers would not design a car to have some kind of current draw that would drain the battery overnight. I don't dispute that. MY statement was that my other car, which did not hit the road for 5 months, did have less than 80% battery charge because it sat too long. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Man you are right and I apologize, this car has just driven me insane. I wish I'd never seen it. As for customizing cars, you are right that is just not my thing. Some folks would never leave one stock. Everyone is different or the world would be a boring place. thanks.

Quick Reply: constant current draw