General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car dies at stop light

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Default car dies at stop light

Hi, I just bought a 98 devill with 125,000 miles, and two days later I was at a stop light and the car died on me but it would starts back up with no problem. so if anyone can tell me what they think is wrong let me know, thank you.

Adam.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 AM

I came to the site tonight to ask the same question about my 98 STS.
In the past it would it die once in a great while but this past weekend I had the air filter assemby off (up to the point of the alum intake/screen) everything was put back together and the elec connection for the sensor for the incoming air is re-connected but the car dies more often than not when I take my foot off the gas when slowing to a stop.....???

Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Certified Members

It could be anything from your idle control sensor to the ECM .. not enough info to determine cause.

see this thread
https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3156

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

More Info:
The outside temp does not matter, cold, hot, in between. It will happen at any time.
The terrain (level, incline, decline) is not an issue. It will happen any time.

It is only and matter of taking your foot off the gas, letting it drop to idle... half the time or more the engine will die ...but will restart, other than that issue the car runs just fine.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Bryan22
More Info:
The outside temp does not matter, cold, hot, in between. It will happen at any time.
The terrain (level, incline, decline) is not an issue. It will happen any time.

It is only and matter of taking your foot off the gas, letting it drop to idle... half the time or more the engine will die ...but will restart, other than that issue the car runs just fine.
this could be caused by many items, but i say the top candidates are
the ISC is not working right,
the throttle intake needs cleaning,
bad coil,
bad primary wire.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Default car dies at stoplight

My car does not die anymore, just those two times and i haven't done anything. The only thing I did when i got the car was put two 12'' subs in the back with amp and capacitor.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 98 devill
My car does not die anymore, just those two times and i haven't done anything. The only thing I did when i got the car was put two 12'' subs in the back with amp and capacitor.

are those still working?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Default car dies

Yes they do.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 PM

My car still dies more often than not at a light. I take my foot off the gas and sometimes it quickly die, sometimes after a few-several seconds. The engine will easily re-start though.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Certified Members

fix or replace ?

A car stalling after being driven a short distance can be caused by a variety of faults with the engine... Start by checking that there is no debris in the fuel line. If it's clear, check the vacuum pipes and hoses on the intake manifold and also check all grounding wires. If none of these approaches solves the problem, it could be that the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery pressure to the injectors.

All that failing, may I suggest that you try a newer model?

Let me know how this works for you.

by Sheila

I hope you can help me here. The other day, I set off for work leaving my husband in the house watching the TV as usual. I hadn't driven more than a mile down the road when the engine conked out and the car shuddered to a halt.

I walked back home to get my husband's help. When I got home I couldn't believe my eyes. He was in our bedroom with the neighbor I'm 32, my husband is 34, and the neighbor, she is 22.

We have been married for ten years. When I confronted him, he broke down and admitted that they had been having an affair for the past six months, but that he was just test driving a new model.

Can you please help?
Sincerely,
Sheila

Last edited by stomper; 07-16-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: car dies at stop light