General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ACETONE

Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Default ACETONE

so a few of my friends have told me to add 6oz of acetone per 10gal of gas will improve the overall mpg and a small boost in performance?? is this true? and are there any neg ramifications?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Default RE: ACETONE

I've heard of this, but never knew of anyone actually doing it. I don't believe it will dramatically increase your gas mileage on your car. It probably has an effect on gas mileage, but how much is unknown. If I were you, I'd let your friends test it out, and possibly run an experiment on gas mileage on their car (so it's not damaging your car if there are adverse effects). I would not throw acetone in my gas tank to save a few bucks at the pump, and risk $5k, $8k or whatever in engine damage.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM

I've done it on my '93 Accord and i know that most hondas do respond well to it. It burns 'cleaner', not as much carbon buildup. I know that V6's and V8's are generally more sensitive so it may have adverse effects. Im not sure about the whole 6oz thing, that sounds a bit much...
So, basicly, yes it does work, on an I4. and motorcycle engines.
so i reccomend for a v8 or v6...not sure, let someone else find out for you hehe.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

Why not try octane booster. Or for a bit more you could try the ethanol gas which will deffinately burn cleaner and give you a bit of a boost.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:02 PM

All octane boosters contain petroleum distillates. Acetone being a petro distilate my not be an ideal product to put in the fuel system. It has a very high flashpoint. meaning it burns fast. From what Igather, inno way claiming to have any in depth knowlege on the subject, The higher the octane, the slower the burn This allows the fuel to burn more completely.I would have to think that acetonewould degrade the quality of the fuel.