General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 sts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Default 98 sts

Just purchased this 98 STS a few months ago and at the time it was cold season so we didnt experience the issue right away. Now that it has warmed up and the A/C fired up I started down the road to solve this mystery I had discovered lol. When the A/C was turned on the Driver side blew cold air and the passenger and rear blowers (located built into the back of the front seat middle console) blew hot air. At first I figured it needed to be recharged but that didnt make much sense since the driver's side was blowing nice cold air. Since it is dual climate control I did some research and stumbled upon a possible solution, the air mix accuater.

Following the suggested procedure I removed the glove box and the kicker and there it was. I than removed it and pulled it apart. From what I could see it looked in pretty good shape. I placed it back on with the face off and turned the key on and the gears moved a little. This was very interesting to me as I had read somewhere that a faulty accuater would not move at all. I than removed the accuater, placed the face back on, manualy turned the post to open the air mixture door to allow the passenger side to get cold aire and then put the accuater back on. This now lead me to my next two discoveries.

I then realised that when changing the temerature on either driver or passenger side the air temperature was not changing at all. Another issue I discovered was, the rear blowers have a low-high fan setting slider and this does not work either. No matter where you slide it the pressure stays the same. I did some research and found out had to pull the diagnostic codes and I am now left with these questions and the following diagnostic codes.

Is there some kind of sending unit that comunicates with the accuater as far as the temperature that is not doing so? or is this all done by the accuater?

If it is all done by the accuater I would be more inclined to pay the $200 (with no return) to replace the accuater.

Also, the rear blower pressure, would this be part of the same issue or another one entirely?

Diagnostic Codes;
B1341 - Current
B1343 - Current
B1009 - Current

Old 04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

B1341 applies to passenger side air - mix door actuator, B1343 outside air actuator code, B1009 E-prom sum error - software or ACM. You may need to go to dealer, their scanner can test actuators and "reflash" ACM if necessary.