General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 sls water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Default 98 sls water pump

My 98 sls is heating up again. This time it is pretty regular. It ran good for about 2 weeks then just got hot. Yesterday I removed thermostat and still ran hot, then by passed heater and still hot. I flush system with garden hose and seems fine. The only thing i haven't done to this car is replace water pump, i have pulled cover and it looked fine, no build up at all. Is it possible to still have a problem with the pump and not visibily see it. The belt is good and not slipping. Water not leaking in cylinder any more after using the K&W fix. I did have a lot of the tablets in before flushing it all out. can there be a clogg somewhere and what can i do. Should I replace pump or maybe let professionals flush it out. HELP PLEASE

Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

It seems running hot has been an on going concern. I would have CO test done to verify head gasket is not blown. These "mircules in a can" are temporary fixes mostly to trade car off, because cost of repair higher than owner can afford at the time. This is not Cadillac specific thing. If it would cost 100. to fix it and the mechanic in a can is 10. there are more than a few will spend the 10. and trade/sell vs. spend the 100.00 to get it done right.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:34 AM

Thanks slowroll. I'm pretty sure the head gasket is blown. I had water getting into the cylinder all the way to the left looking at motor. It was a good bit of water, caused me to burn up the starter trying to compress the water. I tried the tablets first, it worked ok, then the K&W lasted about 2 weeks and just got hot one day, but I don't seem to be losing water, do you still think the head gasket is causing my heat problem. I have checked everything else numerous times. Flushed many times in all directions and ok. I just wanted to make sure that there couldn't be something wrong with the water pump before I make a big decision. The more I read on here the more I think I shouldn't sink the money in this car. I can get a used motor from a 97 installed for 1700at junk yard, but don't really know what I'm getting or how long before this happens again. Or I can get a good used motor with 80000 miles from a place in Memphis for 2000, then probably another 1000 or so to ship and install. Is it worth that ?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

Some used engines have a warranty of some sort, most of the time if it last 30 days it will be ok, provided oil and filter is changed and cooling is flushed when engine is installed ....some people don't, really. It would have heat tabs to indicate if engine overheated. You are looking for 93-99 engine, the 2K and later engine is different - Northstar Gen II. It's not a straight swap.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 AM

Where can I locate these heat tabs?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

tabs are epoxyed to the engine where ever seller wishes. If tabs are "popped" (indicating overheating) or missing - warranty is nornally void. If engine runs hot on start up after install, recheck everything before contacting seller, if no leaks and coolant is full contact seller. Tell them whats going on - they need to know if there is a problem before anything attempted repair is done. If you don't it WILL be a "as is" situation. Most reputable companies will work with you, however most will not pay labor. You need to get the specifics prior to purchase. If you choose too find one on your own find car that is wrecked away from front end. Clean cars in salvage yards normally had some high dollar issue - Northstars= head gaskets. Good Luck