General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 SLS cross country issues - lots!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Unhappy 98 SLS cross country issues - lots!!

So I just did a 6200 mile cross country trip in my 98 sls. It made it! but.... By the time I got from rhode island to Nashville, it had begun to leak oil from the rear side of the engine. It appears to be leaking down the rear passenger side of the engine, and down the oil case. Oddly, it doesn't leak when sitting, only when driving, or left to idle, and the higher you rev the rpms, you can see the drips forming. Is there a common caddy leak area for this? It was leaking almost a quart every two days by the end -- though I was doing a ton of miles per day. Second, after 1000 miles the master cylinder died and the brakes hit the floor. Replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes. This fixed everything for another 4000 miles, however, the brakes hit the floor again, and when you push them the fluid in he master gurgles. Not air bubbles, as much as the gurgle that Rises to the surface when you drop something heavy in water. I can bleed the brakes and they go back to normal for about 200 miles and then hit the floor again. Bleeding fixes it, but temporarily. Any ideas?? Lastly, and this is the most annoying -- after it made it 6200 miles without a major issue, I parked it at its final destination...when I restarted it, I had a service stability message and the abs motor was audibly humming. I checked the codes and got "abs c1287 history". No currents. Tried driving it, and as soon as it hits 10mph, it says "stability system engaged" and the brakes lock up. If that's a safety feature, it's quite unsafe. I cleared the codes, which oddly resolved the problem until I spun the tires on wet pavement. Then it happened all over again. Checked the codes and again got abs c1287, which comes up as steering position sensor. This doesnt make sense to me since spinning the tires triggers the message, and not turning the wheel. Ideas...?? It's made it so far to quit now.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Thought I should add in case it matters -- cruise control has stopped working now that that c1287 is showing. Odd?