General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Catera,need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Default 97 Catera,need some help

Hello everyone, I`m new here so please bare with me,I hope I did not make a mistake by buying a 97 catera but I did so here I go,well the first thingthere is a noise coming from the pax side top of the motor, or around that area it sounds like a small air pump running at a high rpm.It runs for a few seconds then stops then runs and so on.Does anyone know what this is? Also the check engine light is on,I went to autozone to scan this and the code is P4055, a leak detected in evap system.Any help on to find out where this leak is? Hope someone can help. Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: 97 Catera,need some help

Sorry about the wrong code.The correct code is PO455

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM

lol kno this isnt gunna hve nuthin to do with ur problem but ima b upstraight i had a gasket problm with my catera i fixed it and i havent had a problem but its a awesome car once u fix it up dont let everyone tell u diffrently its a great car juss ppl abuse it cause its really speedy

Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

Loose or missing gas caps #1 cause of evap. codes.Vacuum leaks can also set evap codes.You may have to go to dealer or repair shop with equipment to find leak,or faulty part.Only real down side of cateras is they where built by Opel....They don't sell Opels the US ....,But on a serious note parts are expensive,they leak,and finding someone who can work on them outside of a dealer is not easy.However you bought it and I hope it is a good car for you.There were several recalls including timing belt which should have been done so make sure they were.Dealer will need last 8 digits to tell you if they were done or not,if belt recall was done they should be able to tell you when and what mileage.Timing belt is supposed to last 100k if in doubt replace it.Lose the timing belt its time for new car,also don't neglect coolant leaks - hurt the engine ...time for new car. I gave you most of the down side,now the good Most poeple who have them love them for their performance,handling,and economy.Hope it helps

Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the tips