General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 cadillac sls security alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Default 97 cadillac sls security alarm system

i am looking for some help. my 97 cadillac sls may have something going on with the security alarm system. The power is on inside with the lights and all, but when i turn the key, i get no crank. I have been sitting inside the car and the alarm just starts going off. i turn the key, the alarm still sounds, but then i open the driver's door to get out and it goes off, but the car still will not crank. any suggestions as to what may be wrong.

Also, where is the fuel pump relay located at on this sls

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Question

Hello, I am looking for some help. my 97 cadillac sls may have something going on with the security alarm system. The power is on inside with the lights and all, but when i turn the key, i get no crank. A cuple of times I have been sitting inside the car and the alarm just starts going off. i turn the key, the alarm still sounds, but then i open the driver's door to get out and it goes off, but the car still will not crank. any suggestions as to what may be wrong.

Is there a way to reset the security alarm system on this car and also, where is the fuel pump relay located at on this sls. i have fuel problems too or could the security system be the cause of this too?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

Is the "Security" light on the dash on when this happens? If it is blinking, the security system has armed, and you will have to wait at least 3 minutes before attempting to start it again, If you try to start it before the 3 minute time-out, it will reset the timer, and you'll have to wait again.
Does your '97 ignition key have the resistor pellet on it? Not sure when they did away with that. If you have the pellet style key, there may be a problem with the resistor/pellet, or the pellet "reader" in the key cylinder.
Then again, if the alarm is going off for no apparent reason, there is likely a problem with the system that will require some in-depth diagnostics.

The fuel pump relay is in the underhood fuse box, in front of the driver side shock tower, and it should be labled. If the car will not crank, the fuel pump/relay will have nothing to do with that...but it could keep the pump from running after it starts. Some will start and run for about 30 seconds, then the system will shut the fuel pump down. I'd have to research how the system works to know for sure.
hth

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 10-19-2010 at 12:08 PM.