General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Eldorado overheats

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Default 96 Eldorado overheats

Have a strange problem here, I have a 96 Eldo that overheats. All work on this car has been done by pros in the past and the cost has exceeded the price paid for the car. All other repairs are non related to this problem.The first day that the car overheated we took it to our pro. He said that there was exhaust gas in the coolent and ithad turned yellow when tested. His diagnosis is head gasket.He recommended that we get a different car. I think he's embarassed by the number of repairs that we've had him do on this car.When I looked at the car myself I found that there was no coolent in the fill tank. Found that the bottom radiator hose was leaking, and fixed that.When I drained the coolent, I found that it was green and had not really been tested for exhaust gas. Refilled with water, removed air cleaner and ran the car. When it reached 240 degrees the bottom radiator hose was still cool. Ah Hah, the thermostat! Put in a new thermostat and still had the same problem at 245. Removed the thermostat and refilled the radiator. Started the engine and when the temp readhed 253 I grabbed the bottom hose and it's still 'COLD'. Top hose was hot as blazes. I also noted that the small hose that returns coolent to the fill tankalso seemscool. Have noted that theredoes not seem to be anygas bubles comming out of the fill tank and there is absolutely no steam from the exhaust.I think my problem is either a plugged radiator or failed water pump. How do I test on these closed systems? Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Default RE: 96 Eldorado overheats

when he means turned yellow, there is an exhaust gas tester which you put a blue fluid in. when the fluid comes in contact with exhaust gas it will turn yellow. thats what he means. chances are you have a blown head gasket. see if your water pump belt is broken. or if you have an aftermarket water pump which the impellars are plastic, the impellar may have broken off. either way if you overheated it the engine is probably toast.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:38 PM

JUST TO THROW THIS INFO IN THE POT, COULD GUAGE BE WRONG? HOW LONG DID YOU LET IT RUN TO REACH 250 DEGREES? ARE COOLING FANS COMING ON ? IS WATER / ANTIFREEZE MIXTURE IN CORRECT RATIOS. MY CORVETTE WAS MAD WITH ME AND RAN NEARLY 250 BECAUSE THE WATER TO ANTIFREEZE MIXTURE WAS NOT CORRECT. FLUSHED IT AND USED DISTILLED WATER WITH CORRECT TYPE OF ANTIFREEZE AND IT WAS ALL HAPPY AGAIN. THIS INFO DOES NOT LESSEN THE IMPORTANCE OF YOUR MECHANIC S TESTS.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Tom45

Have a strange problem here, I have a 96 Eldo that overheats. All work on this car has been done by pros in the past and the cost has exceeded the price paid for the car. All other repairs are non related to this problem.The first day that the car overheated we took it to our pro. He said that there was exhaust gas in the coolent and ithad turned yellow when tested. His diagnosis is head gasket.He recommended that we get a different car. I think he's embarassed by the number of repairs that we've had him do on this car.When I looked at the car myself I found that there was no coolent in the fill tank. Found that the bottom radiator hose was leaking, and fixed that.When I drained the coolent, I found that it was green and had not really been tested for exhaust gas. Refilled with water, removed air cleaner and ran the car. When it reached 240 degrees the bottom radiator hose was still cool. Ah Hah, the thermostat! Put in a new thermostat and still had the same problem at 245. Removed the thermostat and refilled the radiator. Started the engine and when the temp readhed 253 I grabbed the bottom hose and it's still 'COLD'. Top hose was hot as blazes. I also noted that the small hose that returns coolent to the fill tankalso seemscool. Have noted that theredoes not seem to be anygas bubles comming out of the fill tank and there is absolutely no steam from the exhaust.I think my problem is either a plugged radiator or failed water pump. How do I test on these closed systems? Any ideas?
look in our FAQ. you will find the exhaust gas test there.
you can do it yourself and verify.

my guess, assuming the guy is honest, your engine headgasket has failed.
you are looking at a $3,000 repair (dealer mechanic rate) if that is the case.

i woud not put another cent into that car until i verified that headgasket issue.
NOT ONE CENT.

keep us posted ...

Old 09-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: _X_CaddyTech

an aftermarket water pump which the impellars are plastic, the impellar may have broken off.
do you know when this practice started?
i didnt know we were also dealing with plastic impellers.

this puts a new light on some overheating issues.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. They really shed light on the problem, Here's more info regarding the replies sent.

First, I don't think the mechanic tested for exhaust gasses. The coolent was not yellow when I drained it.Eventhough he stated that he tested it, I don't think that he did. This car has been rode hard and he really doesn't want me to pour more money into it. I have had maybe 8 grand in repairs in two years,

The length of time that the engine was hot was next to nothing. As SOON as it got warm it was shut down. Ran hot only seconds.

Plastic water pump impellers really smacks me up side the head, We had the water pump replaced maybe two years ago. And, there appears to be absolutely no coolent flow. When the engin warms up the top Rad hose gets hot, but the bottom hose is Cool.

First, I'll check for exhaust gas myself. Then if none, I'll look at the water pump. Who in their right mind would put a pump withplastic impellers in an engine this expensive.

Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

who in thier right mind would put a pump with plastic impeller in an engine that expensive......how 'bout those pros you deal with........ lets just look for aq normal guy......good luck guy........
rickyd

Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 PM

wont take long to pop a head gasket on a northstar, doesn't even have to over heat really. I don't think you really understand the way the exhaust gas tester is used. The fluid is not put into the coolant. you take the radiator cap off. put a blue fluid into a TESTER WHICH PULL AIR OFF THE TOP OF THE RADIATOR OR EXPANSION TANK, THAT FLUID WILL TURN BLUE!! Not your Coolant. B/C you coolant was not yellow does not mean he did not test it. I suggest an opinon from someone who is better suited to deal with these engine such as a Dealer. Also i don't suggest using aftermarket parts on these cars as they can cause more problems then you had.