General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 STS Spark plug install advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Default 92 STS Spark plug install advice please!

Hey everyone!

I'm here on behalf of a freind with no mechanical ability and very shallow pockets.. Long story short- I need some advice to get the plugs in and out of the firewall side of the motor. Its a tight fit and I have big hands- Is the only solution lifiting the engine partially out?
Thanks in advance for any tips- I'm totally out of my element here, I'm used to the import scene.... So I need all the help I can get HA!

Jake

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by blowingupjake
Hey everyone!

I'm here on behalf of a friend with no mechanical ability and very shallow pockets.. Long story short- I need some advice to get the plugs in and out of the firewall side of the motor. Its a tight fit and I have big hands- Is the only solution lifiting the engine partially out?
Thanks in advance for any tips- I'm totally out of my element here, I'm used to the import scene.... So I need all the help I can get HA!

Jake
dont you hate those transverse drive trains?
you didnt say how many miles the plugs have ..
here is some generic suggestions that work in many transverse engines ...

1st wash the engine down .. u dont want crap falling into the cylinders

put the car on a lift and get to the plugs from the underside .. you will need good quality sockets (thin) and ratchets .. the cheap tools probably wont fit ...

or

undue the mounts and jack up the engine with lots of care.

or

lay on top of the engine (with care and use a fat cushion from a patio chair), clear everything that is removable and you should be able to get to them .. this is my preferred way and has worked on every car i had ...

since you know how hard the job is, assuming this is not a race car or a stunt car, i also suggest that he stays with DELCO OEM plugs as called for by GM .. nothing else will give you any better performance or reliability.

coat the plug ends with di-electric

Last edited by stomper; 02-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by stomper
dont you hate those transverse drive trains?
you didnt say how many miles the plugs have ..
here is some generic suggestions that work in many transverse engines ...

1st wash the engine down .. u dont want crap falling into the cylinders

put the car on a lift and get to the plugs from the underside .. you will need good quality sockets (thin) and ratchets .. the cheap tools probably wont fit ...

or

undue the mounts and jack up the engine with lots of care.

or

lay on top of the engine (with care and use a fat cushion from a patio chair), clear everything that is removable and you should be able to get to them .. this is my preferred way and has worked on every car i had ...

since you know how hard the job is, assuming this is not a race car or a stunt car, i also suggest that he stays with DELCO OEM plugs as called for by GM .. nothing else will give you any better performance or reliability.

coat the plug ends with di-electric

I hate transverse v8s, thats for sure! He's got about 70k on these plugs, I did convince him to invest in the factory replacement plugs..It's far from my first rodeo, just my first on a crammed cadillac bay! I Was wondering about trying to get them from underneath, I'll give that a try. I really appreciate the input!!
Jake