General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Fleetwood Coupe 4.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Default 90 Fleetwood Coupe 4.5

Hi guys my name is Richard and the car Im inquiring about is my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe 4.5 it has 73k original miles and wasgaraged for over a year before I bought her a few days back(most of the old gas was drained)

The car seems to run good for a milesometimes two before it progressivley gets worse, lowrough idle wants to stall then it will eventually stall out completely, sometimes it will start back up if it does itsbarely running (real low idle) It then needs to sit for an hour or so before you can drive another mile or so, I also noticed if I just let it sit and idle for a while it starts idling rougher and rougher till it stalls, I changed the fuel filter just to start somewhere but no luck, I did some reading and I have a feeling it might be the catalytic converter or fuel pump. Whats your thoughts ?
Thanks ahead,
DSM RICH

Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 90 Fleetwood Coupe 4.5

ORIGINAL: DSM RICH

Hi guys my name is Richard and the car I'm inquiring about is my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe 4.5(FWD) it has 73k original miles and wasgaraged for over a year before I bought her a few days back(most of the old gas was drained)

The car seems to run good for a milesometimes two before it progressivley gets worse, low torough idle wants to stall then it will eventually stall out completely, sometimes it will start back up but as soon as you go into gear it stalls, It then needs to sit for an hour or so before you can drive another mile or so, I also noticed if I just let it sit and idle for a while it sarts idling rougher and rougher till it stalls, I changed the fuel filter just to start somewhere but no luck, I did some reading and I have a feeeling it might be the catalytic converter, whats your thoughts ?
Thanks ahead,
DSM RICH

nahh .. it would do other things.
changing the fuel filter was a good choice. Car has new fuel, right?

we need codes .. if you dont know how, go to our FAQ ...

a really wild guess, lacking codes and info? i be testing the cooling system sensor, cleaning out the throttle intake and then see what we got.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM

well originaly I got a code E97 and E52 I since then disconnected the battery and now only get code E52, I checked out the TB and cleaned it, it has new fuel and stillno better, I just talk to a guy who said it sounds like the fuel pump, he said it gets hot and fails... Whats your thoughts on this ? oh yeah Im not getting SES lights either.
Thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

When you disconnect battery to clear codes, E52 / F52 are stored idle learn is erased also. Idle learn TPS learn procedure are in the posts 4-6 mo. ago. E52 setting without disconnecting indicates ECM reset - when ECM loses power or ground, grounds being more common. With low miles carbon build up can be an issue procedure should also in the previous posts - "squid" only applies to Northstar. There is one for aluminum push rod engine.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: DSM RICH

well originaly I got a code E97 and E52 I since then disconnected the battery and now only get code E52, I checked out the TB and cleaned it, it has new fuel and stillno better, I just talk to a guy who said it sounds like the fuel pump, he said it gets hot and fails... Whats your thoughts on this ? oh yeah Im not getting SES lights either.
Thanks
fuel pump diagnosis is simple .. you can do a fuel pressure test at the rail.
otherwise, follow slowroll advice.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Default RE: 90 Fleetwood Coupe 4.5 update

well it turns out the ecm was bad, I guess it was shuting down 4 injectors for what ever reason, Im just glad it was a cheap fix. I have put over 1000 miles on it since the ecm replacement with no problems just one smooth driving Fleetwood Coupe, thanks for your input guys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6665/E31BD80343614C51AB79E9BB579DA669.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 90 Fleetwood Coupe 4.5 update

thanks for posting solution.