General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 cts-v trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Smile 2005 cts-v trunk leak

MY trunk is taking on water from somewhere,
The whole spare tire area was full of water and carpet wet

I pulled the carpet, and dried it out, the floor looks good, I don't think its coming up from bottom nor do I think its coming in via the weather stripping on the the trunk lid.

very weird. Does anyone have a drawing of the tail light assemblies, I'm wondering if its leaking down thru them like I'm missing a boot or something, The carpet is very wet in both rear corners at the base of the tail light assembles.

thanks
JW

Old 10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Default Fixed

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES

After gutting the trunk and looking things over for leaks, it was not obvious of where the water was entering.

I proceed to flip the back seats down, and cover the complete trunk with newspaper. This would allow any drip that made it in, would show me exactly where it was coming from.

From here, I took the garden hose and duct taped it to the roof of the car with the water flowing down on the back window
I checked the weather stripping for the trunk lid...perfect, no leaks

Then bingo the vertical seals on both sides of the rear window, blown and leaking.

With the garden hose the water roared into the trunk assemble, down thru the seal by the horizontal base attached to piller.

From hear I attached suction cups to the window and it was obvious that the seal was gone.

Now getting the window out and repairing with 3M Windshield sealant is another conversation.

best
John

Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by bowtie8
THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES

After gutting the trunk and looking things over for leaks, it was not obvious of where the water was entering.

I proceed to flip the back seats down, and cover the complete trunk with newspaper. This would allow any drip that made it in, would show me exactly where it was coming from.

From here, I took the garden hose and duct taped it to the roof of the car with the water flowing down on the back window
I checked the weather stripping for the trunk lid...perfect, no leaks

Then bingo the vertical seals on both sides of the rear window, blown and leaking.

With the garden hose the water roared into the trunk assemble, down thru the seal by the horizontal base attached to pillar.

From hear I attached suction cups to the window and it was obvious that the seal was gone.

Now getting the window out and repairing with 3M Windshield sealant is another conversation.

best
John

sorry .. i didnt see this thread. the software settings of this site tend to not show us a lot of things. I have repeatedly requested a different setting but it hasnt happened.

there are several threads with the same subject, CTS trunk leakage.
the usual problem tends to be the pillars as you found out on your car.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Default Trunk Pool

I had the same problem recently and took it to the dealer. Said the sunroof drains were leaking into the trunk area. They drain to the back of the vehicle behind the tail light assy i believe. I have not seen them myself but it follows. Had more water inside the car by driver A pillar and again sunroof drains clogged. Good luck!!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Dont think an apology was required Stomper. It was only like 18 hours since he posted. Talk bout impatience. Specially seein as a search could have helped him out from the get go without even having to post. But kudos to you any ways.
Quite admirable of you.