General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Escalade rotor dust shields install... how?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Default 2002 Escalade rotor dust shields install... how?

Hello everyone. New here, but I thought I would try the forum approach to answer my dilemma. I started out to just get the mag wheels refinished & powder coated. Then, I realized the rotors needed replaced (rusted, not warped) and the pads were worn lopsided (due to sticking calipers). I like to do things right or not at all and so the final item needing replacement was the rear dust shields behind the rotors were so rusted you can poke your fingers thru them. Only after buying the shields did I realize that (or, so it looks like) the axle shafts must be pulled out in order to replace these shields!!! Can anyone give me a web reference or a printout from a service repair manual what may be involved? Will I have to purchase a gear puller or open the rear end to remove snap rings? Are the axles pressed into the hubs? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is one project I wish I would've never started.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 2002 Escalade rotor dust shields install... how?

Rear cover has to come off. Its basically the same "c" clip layout that chevy has had since the 60s

Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM

I'm more of a front end man (*****) and I don't spend much time looking at rear ends. Can you be a little more specific? The last time I fooled with any drive train component Nixon was still in office!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Certified Members

This thread may help. https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_24255/tm.htm

Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Slowroll:

I read the thread, sounds easy enough. The entire procedure summed up in a couple sentences: "There will be a 5/16 headed bolt on carrier holding cross shaft, remove it. Slide shaft out of carrier. With shaft out, push axle in, C clip should fall out. Remove axle." Now, it's been way too many years and I'm not sure what the "cross shaft" looks like but I think I might be able to figure it out once I get in there. Thanks Slowroll for your help and my special thanks to the other guy in the thread that asked all the difficult questions. I may take a few pictures and post them here for future reference for the next guy that tries this. As there is snow falling in the driveway right now, it will be a few days before I can attempt this. I'll post later if I have any problems. Thanks again...

Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: BigDaddyGW

Slowroll:

I read the thread, sounds easy enough. The entire procedure summed up in a couple sentences: "There will be a 5/16 headed bolt on carrier holding cross shaft, remove it. Slide shaft out of carrier. With shaft out, push axle in, C clip should fall out. Remove axle." Now, it's been way too many years and I'm not sure what the "cross shaft" looks like but I think I might be able to figure it out once I get in there. Thanks Slowroll for your help and my special thanks to the other guy in the thread that asked all the difficult questions. I may take a few pictures and post them here for future reference for the next guy that tries this. As there is snow falling in the driveway right now, it will be a few days before I can attempt this. I'll post later if I have any problems. Thanks again...
Slowroll:

OK, while I removed the rear end cover, I didn't see anything resembling a single "5/16" headed bolt on carrier holding cross shaft." Below are a few pictures, please identify the bolt and cross shaft of which you speak. Thank you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7697/0363712DDA6D4BDDA73AC15F9515CC86.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 PM

One more picture...

[IMG]local://upfiles/7697/63EA0D164B60400F85DC6F39D36D6561.jpg[/IMG]

The only bolt that appears to be 5/16 may be the two holding the axle shaft bearing caps. Can you annotate where the C-clip would be in these pictures? Thank you.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

In the center of the case(part that holds ring gear) you will see a steel pin or shaft about 3/4" in diameter that goes through it. Shaft holds differential pinion gears in place, where you can see the end of the shaft there will be a recess in the case for the retaining bolt. Remove bolt and slide shaft out. Do not rotate axles with shaft out, because there wont anything to keep pinions from moving in case and falling out.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks Slowroll:

Well, if that pin or shaft cannot be seen in those pictures then I may have to remove the spare tire and drop a sway bar out of the way to get my head up in there far enough and additional lighting to see what I need to see. Might I have to turn the ring gear in order to see this pin or shaft? By that, I mean does this pin or shaft rotate with the ring gear or is it static in a horizontal position that doesn't change with gear rotation? The cars on jack stands and I'm laying in the driveway so it ain't so easy! I'll check back here late tomorrow...

Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

If you look at the second picture, towards the bottom of the carrier on the passenger side you can see a shadow of the recess. Yes, you will have to rotate ring gear to see and get to it.

Quick Reply: 2002 Escalade rotor dust shields install... how?