General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 STS alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Default 2001 STS alternator

Hello! I am a new member and a new (used Cadillac owner). I currently have a 2001 STS with 90,000 mile on it. This morning we experienced something strange. When we drove to church this morning the battery light came on and the information center displayed low voltage. The tire sensors displayed high pressure readings (95psi all 4) i shut everthing off i could and we made it to our destination without any problem about a mile away everthing went back to normal. When we left for home the display center indicated possible ice. the outside temp was 52 deg. Then the temp gage went to hot and then back to normal. Below normal operating range as we had not even left the parking lot. The car ran fin the remaining way home and everything appeared naormal. Gages and display were normal. the alt. displayed 14.6 volts. I recently replaced the battery (about two weeks ago). I noticed that the gages were acting strange and giving false readings then. The tire pressure tmps were the first. When i fueled up and started the car I did not have dash lights. I removed the battery and had it checked. It was bad so I replaced it with one from Autozone (direct replacement). Could I have an alternator issue? If so what is the replacement procedure?
Thanks in advance fro the help.
VMBmotor22

Update to above.
I worked with it more this afternoon and found that each time I start the car the display will do different things. one time the fuel gage will not read. shut the car off and restart and the fuel gage will be fine and the temp gage will not read. The information center displays incorrect information like high tire temps, colder temps low fuel alarm (the gage reads 3/4 tank. Could this be a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks again!

Last edited by VMBmotor22; 09-23-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM

It could be that everything is fine except the sensors. From what I understand, they are very expensive to replace. You could run the codes from the onboard information display. There are threads on this site that will explain how to run the codes and show what each code is.
I'm lucky that the only code showing on my SLS is for the outside air temp. sensor. On a 80 degree day my outside temp. reads 138 degrees ~ something I can live with. I had a 2000 STS that would show bad brakes and traction control problems, both were fine but it would have cost $700.00 to replace the sensors. Each time I started the car I would have to toogle the info display to get rid of the warning chime, again something I could live with.
The only time I had a fuel gage problem was just before the fuel pump went bad, but it would be a constint fluctuation with the needle.
With the amount of different issues you are having a bad ground would be a easier fix, I just don't know.
What I do know is that these except for the eletronics are very fine automoblies.
Good luck