General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 cadillac dhs over heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Exclamation 2001 cadillac dhs over heating problem

I have a problem with my car over heating. I just got the car about a month ago. The temp gauge moves foward fast. I have replaced the thermostat and the temp gauge sensor on the side of the rear head. The water pump seems to work just fine the hoses have pressure in them when I turn the car off and then go soft after the thermostat opens while car is off. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem? I am getting really frustrated and it is the only vehicle that I have so I need to try to figure it out fast. Please help.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Would runing straight water in it instead ox dexcool red have something to do with it? Any one

Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM

c heck the purge line never run just water it will!! overheat

Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM

Where is the purge tank and I was having my water back up into the reservoir today. I bypassed the thermostat to see if it helped and that was a big negative. I am about to take the heads for pressure testing. What else could it be? Thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cadillaclazaro
I have a problem with my car over heating. I just got the car about a month ago. The temp gauge moves forward fast. I have replaced the thermostat and the temp gauge sensor on the side of the rear head. The water pump seems to work just fine the hoses have pressure in them when I turn the car off and then go soft after the thermostat opens while car is off. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem? I am getting really frustrated and it is the only vehicle that I have so I need to try to figure it out fast. Please help.
details?

there are many modes of overheating and without details, is pretty difficult to start the diagnostics.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM

My overheating problem is this. I changed the water pump thermostat flushed all hoses and water is noy circulating. No water in oil. I opend the reservoir cap and started it and the water has bubbles in it causing it to come back. A few people said exhaust gasses in my cooling system. Do u believe this?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 PM

Blown headgaskit

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

what are the miles on the car, and any service records??

Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by rickyd
what are the miles on the car, and any service records??
I don't have any service records and the car has 139xxx miles on it.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

this sounds like what i went through and later came to the conclusion my gaskets were starting to fail. i had the same issue trying to bleed air out of the system and after 2hours of trying i knew right away it was bad gaskets and later it started to blow white smoke out the exhaust. Good luck i hope you dont have gasket issues but im really sure thats the culprit. Also as you stated in the previous post about using more water than coolant please tell me you didnt do that. if so you most likely did more harm than good. But judging from what you replaced along with constantly getting air in the system its gota be the gaskets.

Quick Reply: 2001 cadillac dhs over heating problem