General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Cadillac Seville sts Coolant Leak - water pump crossover seal

Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Default 1999 Cadillac Seville sts Coolant Leak - water pump crossover seal

I have a 1999 Seville sts with 80,000 miles on it. My car has been leaking coolant for a few weeks and the check coolant light finally came on today.

Wanted to know what could be the cause for the coolant leak? I just got the water pump and the pulley replaced 1 months ago. Also the car does not overheat so I'm hoping its not a gasket problem.

edited title

Last edited by Stealth; 01-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Not sure but check the coolant crossover has a tendency to leak, this is what I was told by a dealership when inquiring about buying this car.

Good luck, hope it's not bad! My 06 Chev tk had a frost plug that was leaking, simply slight turn in with a 3/8" ratchet fixed that problem, wish all repairs were that easy! Maybe a shop can put a dye in the antifreeze to find the leak???? Not sure.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM

if you have a leak ??
Is there coolant on the ground under your car ?

If so then pop the hood and look around for wet spots. Try to trace from the ground up as to where the leak is coming from.

BTW...there is no frost plug in a 99 Lac. Hope that rambling didnt confuse you or make you sound like an easy mark if you repeated it.

BTW... if its been only a few weeks since your pump was changed then you should maybe go back to the place that changed it ?!
Why did you have the pump changed in the first place ?

Did they flush the coolant out when they changed the pump ?
What was in there when it was changed...Green or Orange ?
Did they add the tabs ?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Certified Members

if the cooling system has an external leak, there will be one or more of these:
1. fluids on ground or carpets
2. smell of coolant
3. trail stains on block, hose connections, or other engine components
- this is a visual ID

if the system has an internal leak, there will be one or more of these:
1. oil level will rise, with added coolant
2. white steam (not smoke) will be evident on tail pipe when engine is well warmed and running.
3. at load (climb a mountain), engine will overheat as exhaust gases (headgaskets) blow into the coolant system .. at normal driving, it may not show this
4. it will drive you nuts as nothing seems wrong except coolant keeps going low, probably headgaskets.
- this is a compression test time and exhaust gases in coolant test time

Last edited by stomper; 01-09-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM

There is coolant on the ground under the car, its not a big puddle though. The pump was replaced because my car overheated once and the water pump pulley belt melted 1 months ago. The car has not overheated since.

I also smell coolant almost whenever I start the car up. I am going to take my car back to the place that changed the water pump.

So could this actually be a headgasket problem?

Last edited by montrose2914; 01-09-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: want to add something
Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

possible, but unlikely ...

Originally Posted by stomper
if the cooling system has an external leak, there will be one or more of these:
1. fluids on ground or carpets
2. smell of coolant
3. trail stains on block, hose connections, or other engine components
- this is a visual ID

if the system has an internal leak, there will be one or more of these:
1. oil level will rise, with added coolant
2. white steam (not smoke) will be evident on tail pipe when engine is well warmed and running.
3. at load (climb a mountain), engine will overheat as exhaust gases (headgaskets) blow into the coolant system .. at normal driving, it may not show this
4. it will drive you nuts as nothing seems wrong except coolant keeps going low, probably headgaskets.
- this is a compression test time and exhaust gases in coolant test time

Old 01-09-2010, 09:12 PM

i had the same problem with my 96 seville have a mechanic check the hoses.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by montrose2914
There is coolant on the ground under the car, its not a big puddle though. The pump was replaced because my car overheated once and the water pump pulley belt melted 1 months ago. The car has not overheated since.

I also smell coolant almost whenever I start the car up. I am going to take my car back to the place that changed the water pump.

So could this actually be a headgasket problem?

it be nice to know what the final outcome was ...

Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM

It could also be a slow leak because someone forgot to add the two manufacturer required cooling system seal tabs to the lower radiator hose when they changed the antifreeze. GM part number 3634621 or equal DEX-Cool compatible organic vegetable stop leak.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM

I'm up to 98,000 miles now. I have a coolant leak from the water pump crossover seal. I was told this would be 800 to repair. Just spent 650 to have a cracked radiator repaired. Should I just try to sell this car or have it fixed?
Thanks for any info

Last edited by montrose2914; 01-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Cadillac Seville sts Coolant Leak - water pump crossover seal