Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/)
-   -   1996 Deville Only Start with Start Fluid!???? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/1996-deville-only-start-start-fluid-7778/)

wekinla 12-30-2008 12:53 PM

1996 Deville Only Start with Start Fluid!????

I have a 1996 Deville. Car has new Fuel Pump, fuel press reg, starter, body control mod, car has spark, will NOT START?! Is this a fuel probelm? It will only start when starting fluid is sprayed in, so it has to be a fuel probelm? Took it to one guy, and hes talking about cam position sensor, but it starts with starting fluid, so I doubt its that?! any one with any help, please RESPOND to this theard! anyone have a probelm like this?! TECH'S I NEED YOU! [:@]Before I light it on fire and call state farm!

slowroll 12-30-2008 08:53 PM

RE: 1996 Deville Only Start with Start Fluid!????

Check for 12v at injector connectors(more than 1). Try injector test or noide light and see if it blinks when engine is cranked. Test light can be used if you don't have one. Are codes stored.

santanerox3 01-01-2009 06:51 PM

thats what im thinking too fuel injectors or might be that ur fuel filter is really clogged up

wekinla 01-03-2009 03:18 AM

Niode tester went well, showing 12 volts at all 8 injectors!!!! replaced cam position sensor, for the hell of it, replaced fuel press reg, pump, filter, has 48 at the rail, uhm, body control module. . . . DOES ANYONE think its the crank position sensor?! could this be a possibilty?

slowroll 01-03-2009 08:59 AM

If you have spark and injector connector will blink light it is unlikely crank sensors are the cause. Will engine run after using spray to start it or does it die, until sprayed again? What is condition of spark plugs at this point in time? they may have fouled during your effort to start car. Codes?, What does Coolant Temperature Sensor read vs. outside temp. you maybe able to read it on dic if not you will need scanner. What happens if you disconnect MAF?

wekinla 01-03-2009 11:14 PM

There is spark, engine dies after a few seconds with starting fluid! Havent pulled spark plugs, thats my next thing on the to do list, already picked them up, just have to put them in. NO codes, have a obd2 scanner, but since the battery has died, and new installed it has yet to run so it wont throw a code! coolant temp sensor reads 34 deg, which it is probally 34 outside, so that all checks ok, how to read it on dic? the heat button!? let me know!!!!!! at this point, im lost, local shops are stumped, bunch of morans, cadillac says they will need a "few" days to run tests, but uhm, thats expensive! probally more then the car is worth. PLUS the tow to cadillac! so anything at this point would help.

wekinla 01-03-2009 11:38 PM

OK, NO codes with obd2 scanner. Tryed to look up codes, but there not the reg codes? Codes threw DIC are :
PC0603
PC1631
IP1552
IP2750
P21558
IR1740
IR2129
IR2255
RF2560

wekinla 01-03-2009 11:51 PM

Only ones that were current, RF2560, and IR2129, the car does say this on dic tho *car may NOT restart* IS THIS A PROBELM WITH REMOTE START? ILL KICK THE GUY IN THE BALLS WHO HAD THIS CAR BEFORE ME FOR PUTTING IT ON?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

stomper 01-04-2009 02:10 AM

slowroll 01-04-2009 09:08 AM

Make sure battery is fully charged. check grounds at front of transmission near ABS unit, and at end of rear head drives side. any repairs prior to this condition. Clear codes and run car off the fluid. See what codes come back. Theft deterrent code was set, how many mods have been done radio etc ?

wekinla 01-04-2009 02:10 PM

Brand new battery, no ground in front of trans? there is a strange looking ground going to coil pack bolts right from thebattery????? never seen thatbefore? I just the front 4 plugs just for ****s and giggles, car started and ran, and idledfor 5 seconds, then shut off, tryed to crank it again, no start. No mods? everything is stock, car wont run long enough to pull a code with starting fluid.

slowroll 01-04-2009 05:48 PM

There should be grounds attached trans. no grounds stuff isn't working.

wekinla 01-04-2009 05:56 PM

Ground coming from battery?!?!?!?! ground coming from where? Is there suppose to be a ground running to ign coil bolts?!

slowroll 01-04-2009 07:03 PM

Modules for different systems ground all over the car. Most of the essential grounds for the car to run are attached to powertrain somewhere. You need to invest in FSM to solve your problem.

wekinla 01-07-2009 12:25 PM

OK, I checked all the grounds, have a wiring diagram.I did the node light, node light doesnt do anything. No blinking, no solid light, nothing. So no power is getting into injectors, so now what?! After I did the node test, on the DIC service fuel system? Car has new pump, filter, fuel press reg. So what can/should I do now?

slowroll 01-07-2009 06:41 PM

Do you have 12v to injector connectors? They(2) are fused in underhood fuse box. No power at fuse, check red battery cable where it connects to fuse block. 12v to injector connectors, check for codes and re post.

wekinla 01-14-2009 01:00 AM

OK, after reading a bunch of wiring diagrams, from all data, asking a million peoples opinoins, im stuck back where i started, so lets start with the basics. You need 3 things to start a car, compression *which i have* spark *which i have because i can still feel it going through my finger* and fuel. . . . fuel i dont know, the rail is at 48. . . volts going to injectors is 4.04 to 3.93, that is the range where they sit. Im guessing they should be at 12. . . so there not, replaced all fuses and relays, just because i had them, and i was bored, not blowing any fuses, no burnt smelling relays. . . so im not getting enough power to injectors. THE INJECTOR fuse, is sitting at 12 volts, so somewhere in between im loosing power. I can see the injector harness going into some sort of sensor, tps? iat? maf? map? then running underneath somewhere? pcm? . . . . so where could i be loosing this power? wires are wrapped in wire lume, could be a ****ty wire? causing a short im guessing. . . sooooooo still car is throwing NO current codes. . . . sooooo, slowroll where are ya buddy, i need ya! thanks alot, i appercaite it! any pointers anyone can give, would be greatly appercaited! Its 1 in the morning, its 2 degress outside, snow on the ground, and im messing with this thing once again! oh and did i mention my starter went out on my 94!? yay!

slowroll 01-14-2009 07:51 PM

With the low voltage you have at the injectors it's no wonder it wont start. Unplug all injectors if you haven't already and re-check for 12v. If still no 12v. Since you have access to info check any and all harness connectors between under hood fuse box and fuel rail looking for 12v., as last resort peel harness. There should be 12v. to injectors. Post what you find.

wekinla 01-15-2009 10:13 PM

quick question, if i replaced the bcm. . . do i have to get it re-learned? what about if the pcm was replaced? same thing, re-learned?

slowroll 01-16-2009 09:00 PM

PCM grounds injectors does not power them. Yes, it has to be programmed by dealer. There is no 'bcm'

wekinla 01-17-2009 10:17 AM

ok, i peeled the harness. . . what should i be looking for? open wires? should i take off all the wire lume? and by bcm, i meant body control module? all injectors were showing 3.8 to 4.1 volts, but if the pcm grounds them, couldnt that be a bad ground not getting the right volts?

slowroll 01-17-2009 11:26 AM

You are looking for broken or corroded wire or connector in circuit supplying 12v to injectors.The wire color is pink also bolt together connector (C101) near under hood fuse box. Alldata should be able to provide terminal locations. Injector fuses(2) supply 12v to injectors PCM applies ground to trigger them. BCM ??? explain, Did you change a module prior this condition? You did have all injectors unplugged when your found only 4v to injectors?