General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Coupe DeVille Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Default 1969 Coupe DeVille Power steering problem

Hi!
I recently bought a 1969 Coupe De Ville. The power steering fluid reservoir was leaking so I bought a remanufactured power steering pump complete with reservoir (A1 Cardone). I had it replaced. and at first it worked, but after driving about 2-3 miles the steering wheel became increasingly stiffer. After that I noticed that the power steering started only working with the engine revved and at idle i had no power steering at all. Somehow I managed to drive it back to the shop and by the time I arrived back (another 3-4 miles) I had no power steering, regardless of engine speed.
The guys in the shop, here in Romania don't have a lot of experience with American cars so I thought that maybe you could give me some tips on how to fix this. In the meantime I've ordered yet another Steering pump which should get here by the end of next week.
I should mention that the pulley from the old pump was installed on the new one by tapping it into place, since the pump shaft doesn't have a threadded hole in the middle (as it appears in the booklet and in the service manual), so we couldn't install it by pressing it in.
Thanks a lot !