General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 DTS N* broken lower case bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Default 02 DTS N* broken lower case bolt.

I am replacing the lower case and rear main seal on an 02 DTS 4.6L, Well while removing the main bearing bolts, 2 of them broke (both were outter bolts), I got 1 out and the other I kinda did some damage to the threads in the block when the drill bit walked. so now I am at a loss as to how i am going to get this bolt out, and i am sure it is pretty inportant, so not installing it I think would cause some issues. any idea/opinions as to what to do, or anyone have this problem b4? What kind of problems would come up if the bolt is not replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

if i am following you right..... you need to drill it out and retap the hole. ???? is that possible???
rickyd

Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

If the bolt is still up in there, try using a die-grinder with a pointed shape carbide cutter to get a pilot hole started in the center of the bolt. With a good solid pilot, use a drift type punch in the center of the bolt, and whack it a few times with a hammer. This will, a lot of times, break the bond between the bolt and the threads. Once you get a good pilot, you can use the drill and ease-out.
If the threads in the block are damaged, you'll need to use a heli-coil, or some other type of thread repair. If using a heli-coil, you may want to use two inserts to be sure it will hold.
hth

you do NOT want to leave out a main bearing saddle bolt...they're there for a reason!

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 03-04-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by dksob81
I am replacing the lower case and rear main seal on an 02 DTS 4.6L, Well while removing the main bearing bolts, 2 of them broke (both were outter bolts), I got 1 out and the other I kinda did some damage to the threads in the block when the drill bit walked. so now I am at a loss as to how i am going to get this bolt out, and i am sure it is pretty inportant, so not installing it I think would cause some issues. any idea/opinions as to what to do, or anyone have this problem b4? What kind of problems would come up if the bolt is not replaced?

Thanks in advance.

1. as stated above by the 'apple', one should always drill a pilot hole to work on such important parts, always, always.

2. running the engine w/o those bolts can only lead to a bent crank/engine failure

3. when a bolt wont come out, instead of using brute strength, a little finesse can often do the job .. ie.. heat the bolt with a small torch, 'tap' it while hot, heat again, 'tap' it again .. or heat them and use a impact wrench on lower power since these imitate a taping as they turn the bolt.

4. this is a 1st for me .. i have never heard of bearing bolts breaking before. how did this happen? what was used to wrench them out?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM

sorry kinda forgot about this thread.

I used a breaker bar and socket to loosen/remove the lower case bolts and the 2 bolts just snapped, they were all pretty tight.

I end up taking it to the machine shop to get the other bolt out.

Also did head gaskets at the same time and had a hell of a time with thos as well, the threads in the block got pulled out when I removed the the head bolts, so I had to drill and tap new holes for a stud kit (from NORTHSTARPERFORMANCE.com).