General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 sls rough idle and clunk in rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Default 01 sls rough idle and clunk in rear

Hello all..

I have a 2001 SLS. ive had it for a year and a half. I do most of work myself but have run into two problems that i can not figure out. First I have a very rough idle and a spark knock. the spark knock is only when engine is warm. It runs fine while driving but at a stop or when in park it bounces from 600-850rpm. the engine does not stop ever. The service engine soon light is on and i pulled the codes and there were 2. they were saying that bank 1 and bank 2 were running lean. checked the mass airflow and checked for vacuum leaks the best that i could. I have been reading that the crank sensors are a common problem but just looking for a bit of advice....

Second, I have a clunk in the rear. I have checked for play and wear marks through out rear suspension but have not found anything. I sounds like it is coming from drivers side. Me and my father looked at it for hours one day and came up empty. we both have done alot of work on cars in the past. the sound seems to come when i hit small bumps. i dont really hear it when i hit big bumps. it sounds like kinda a hollow clunk. I have checked strut mounts, brake hardware and have pryed on everything possible and found no play. also sounds stupid but if i kick the rear tire i can hear a similar nose. the reason i kicked it is that i had it jacked up and wanted to see if that would help duplicate thenoise. not because i was mad.haha if u need a better explination just ask and i will do my best.

I thank you for taking time to help.....

Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 01 sls rough idle and clunk in rear

ORIGINAL: 2001slswhite

Hello all..

I have a 2001 SLS. ive had it for a year and a half. I do most of work myself but have run into two problems that i can not figure out. First I have a very rough idle and a spark knock. the spark knock is only when engine is warm. It runs fine while driving but at a stop or when in park it bounces from 600-850rpm. the engine does not stop ever. The service engine soon light is on and i pulled the codes and there were 2. they were saying that bank 1 and bank 2 were running lean. checked the mass airflow and checked for vacuum leaks the best that i could. I have been reading that the crank sensors are a common problem but just looking for a bit of advice....

Second, I have a clunk in the rear. I have checked for play and wear marks through out rear suspension but have not found anything. I sounds like it is coming from drivers side. Me and my father looked at it for hours one day and came up empty. we both have done alot of work on cars in the past. the sound seems to come when i hit small bumps. i dont really hear it when i hit big bumps. it sounds like kinda a hollow clunk. I have checked strut mounts, brake hardware and have pryed on everything possible and found no play. also sounds stupid but if i kick the rear tire i can hear a similar nose. the reason i kicked it is that i had it jacked up and wanted to see if that would help duplicate thenoise. not because i was mad.haha if u need a better explination just ask and i will do my best.

I thank you for taking time to help.....

the clunk .. get under the car, grab the exhaust pipe at different points, yank on it .. the #1 clunker.

the CODES? I dont see them .. what are they?
Also, check throotle intake and idle controller.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

hey stealth thank you for taking the time to help... I have already tried making the exhaust duplicate the noise. It is like a phantom noise. sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear hub. i have gone to the extent of riding in the trunk and backseat with the door open, with my head outside the car. It really soounds like its coming from the hub. i have checked it for play also. wheel bearing seems fine.

And about the codes, there were2 codes that are all related to banks 1 and 2 being to lean. p0171 and p0174.... hope this helps.. thanks a bunch

Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Certified Members

where is the gasoline filler neck on your car?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 AM

on the drivers side.. want to say that i checked that but not positive so i will try it again. I havent looked at in awhile. was just going to wait till it got worse but then i found this site plus it is really starting to bother me. Im going to go outside and check it. any suggestions on the idle.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 AM

I use a 'chassis EAR' to check for clicks,clunks,rattles,squeaks,rumbles,etc. It might take
a couple of roadtests topinpoint the noise, but there hasn't been 1 yet that I didn't find.
Ask your friends,relatives,etc., if they have one you can borrow. They cost about $150.00
so unless you plan on using it alot it might not be worth the cost of buying one.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Replace the bellows between the throttle body and the intake,,,,, its cracked

Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM

I have a 2001 SLS that was giving me the lean codes bank 1 and 2 andan irratic idle. Found the problem with starting fluid. It had a crack in the rubber boot that connects the intake and the throttle body. I believe they call it the plentum. You have to take the intake off to replace it. Sure enough on the bottom side of it there was a 1 inch crack in it. Runs like new now.