General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 dts head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Default 01 dts head gasket

hey guys i was driving my car hard one night and popped a head gasket. i have an 01 dts. dealer said between $3500 and $6500 to fix. i don't know what to do. anyone know a good reasonable mechanic in the philadelphia, pa area??? thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Default RE: 01 dts head gasket

That's a lot of money at the dealer, my mechanic would of done it for $1200 here in the Chicago land. For 35 - 65 hund, you might as well get a different Northstar for $1500 in very good condition on low miles, and installed for another $500, or do it yourself if you can.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Default RE: 01 dts head gasket

yeah well they said that the head gasket swap would be $3500 but that's only if the block isn't cracked. $6500 would be if i need another block i guess. yeah i think they are crazy. i wish i could find a mechanic to do it for $1200. i'd pay that in a heartbeat. my mechanic told me he won't get involved with it. how hard is it do do an engine swap??

Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 01 dts head gasket - spend the $25, save the $3,000 to $6,000

ORIGINAL: rwrows

yeah well they said that the head gasket swap would be $3500 but that's only if the block isn't cracked. $6500 would be if i need another block i guess. yeah i think they are crazy. i wish i could find a mechanic to do it for $1200. i'd pay that in a heartbeat. my mechanic told me he won't get involved with it. how hard is it do do an engine swap??
If you have a engine lift, tools, torque wrench, FSM, patience, tags, pencil, organization skills .. easy.
IF not, a nightmare.

A one weekend job for a novice, I seen pros do it in two hrs.

In my area, there are dozens and dozens of companies that do exactly that. Find salvage and tested engines and swap them out. Cost .. I dont know.

Engine swap steps are:
- find salvage engine, low miles, COMPRESSION tested, get it home.
compression will tell you if that engine has a GOOD gasket aside other things.
never, NEVER EVER, buy a Northstar used engine w/o a compression test.
- disconnect everything on old engine, tagging everything as you go, EVERYTHING!
the one item that you do not tag will bury you later.
- pull old engine
- drop in the new engine
- remember the tagging ? now use it and reverse the reconnecting everything.

- - ohhh, dont mess with the A/C other than unmount brackets and move it aside.
do not undue A/C hoses, lines, nothing.

Now, tell us .. why did the coolant not get changed every two years?

To all that read this, please go to our FAQ and read up on headgaskets, coolant, etc.
spend the $25, save the $3,000 to $6,000

Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: stomper

If you have a engine lift, tools, torque wrench, FSM, patience, tags, pencil, organization skills .. easy.
IF not, a nightmare.

A one weekend job for a novice, I seen pros do it in two hrs.

In my area, there are dozens and dozens of companies that do exactly that. Find salvage and tested engines and swap them out. Cost .. I dont know.

Engine swap steps are:
- find salvage engine, low miles, COMPRESSION tested, get it home.
compression will tell you if that engine has a GOOD gasket aside other things.
never, NEVER EVER, buy a Northstar used engine w/o a compression test.
- disconnect everything on old engine, tagging everything as you go, EVERYTHING!
the one item that you do not tag will bury you later.
- pull old engine
- drop in the new engine
- remember the tagging ? now use it and reverse the reconnecting everything.

- - ohhh, dont mess with the A/C other than unmount brackets and move it aside.
do not undue A/C hoses, lines, nothing.

Now, tell us .. why did the coolant not get changed every two years?

To all that read this, please go to our FAQ and read up on headgaskets, coolant, etc.
spend the $25, save the $3,000 to $6,000

well i only bought the car in september of last year. i would have glady flushed the coolant if i had known. i am definately to blame. that night i blew it, i was putting some punishment on the drivetrain. i have all of that stuff you mention. i do small block chevy swaps all of the time. i'm waiting for one of the salesmen to call me back, to see what they can give me for my car as is. i'd love to fix it though because my car is fairly unique and i really like it. how hard would it be to find a motor?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM

should be fairly easy for the most park, just call auto wreckers from the yellow pages in your area and ask them for a northstar engine of the same years, or look on craigslist.com for any listings in your area.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

well i only bought the car in september of last year. i would have glady flushed the coolant if i had known. i am definately to blame. that night i blew it, i was putting some punishment on the drivetrain. i have all of that stuff you mention. i do small block chevy swaps all of the time. i'm waiting for one of the salesmen to call me back, to see what they can give me for my car as is. i'd love to fix it though because my car is fairly unique and i really like it. how hard would it be to find a motor?
sorry for your trouble. yes, we are making it a routine to drain and refill (not flush) coolant every two years, or upon a vehicle transfer where the coolant's age is unk.

transferring a Northstar is no more difficult than the small Chev swaps you mentioned.

also, your being a car kind of guy, you might want to look for a wrecked car with a good engine. that may well be the most economical route and will also yield a bunch of spare parts .. plus .. a bunch of extra parts to sell off and possibly pay for the cost of buying the wrecked car. it is not unheard off to see a car parted out for 3X its book value.

the dealer's offer of $500 for the car, may shock you - hold on tight.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 AM

still trying to figure out what to do. dealer offered me $3000 for the car. i owe about $7000 on it. can i pull the motor out with a cherry picker or do i have to drop it from underneath?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

still trying to figure out what to do. dealer offered me $3000 for the car. i owe about $7000 on it. can i pull the motor out with a cherry picker or do i have to drop it from underneath?
If you are welthy, no question .. buy a new one.

if not ..

let the MATH do the talking.
- walk away, you still owe $4,000, and no car?
- swap engines, $1,500, you still have a nice car

dont know if it comes out the top with the cherry picker of not, but
you still have the MATH to work out.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Engine Swap? It is very hard, a lot of stress and a lot of money.You have to get the right tools, good mechanic/engineering, and right parts. If your just swaping motor for motor, it's not all that difficult. If your swapping a smaller motor and going to a larger one, it's more complex. the most difficult time you will have with it, is the attention to detail that is required.

Quick Reply: 01 dts head gasket