FAQ Frequenly Asked Technical Questions. This section is read only, and posts are made by the staff. If you have something to contribute contact any moderator.

Noise from Dash - 2013 ATS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:13 PM
Angry Noise from Dash - 2013 ATS

My wife's 2013 ATS is making a random horrible noise from the dash. The noise:
Can anyone give me a clue as to what this is. I assume it is related to the AC system. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. The dealer service manger did not know what it was but said the the dash would need to be removed and the labor would be $1400. Hoping for a DIY fix.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jim.Junk911
My wife's 2013 ATS is making a random horrible noise from the dash. The noise:
Can anyone give me a clue as to what this is. I assume it is related to the AC system. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. The dealer service manger did not know what it was but said the the dash would need to be removed and the labor would be $1400. Hoping for a DIY fix.
A follow Up: I took apart the dash this weekend, as much as I could anyhow =, looking for the source of the NOISE. I removed the Cue console and radio, the top center dash and speaker, The glove box CD player, passenger panels under the dash, driver side under dash. I search around with my endo-scope. I disconnected the battery to prevent me setting off the airbags, though, I did not mess with the airbag part of the dash. Unfortunately I was unable to get the NOISE to happen again. I put everything back together, changed the cabin air filter while I had that apart. Still could not get the NOISE to happen again. Contently, changing temperatures, switching from Auto to recycles air and Heat. I seems the Actuators I can control are not the issue. Like I mentioned in the original post the NOISE come and goes. My wife said it normally stops once she drives for a while. I tried the next morning when the car was cooled off, but still no NOISE. Possibly disconnecting the battery reset something?? Well, time will tell. We will see if the random NOISE goes away for good or if it comes back when my wife is running her erends the car?

Oh, another issue - trying to find a Chiltons or Haynes manual for and 2013 ATS! I don't think there is one in print!

Old 08-06-2020, 02:37 PM
Default Random horrible noise from the dash

I have the same exact problem with my 2013 Ats. I decided to take apart the passenger under dash today and found a module while taking it apart. When I unplugged it the noise stopped. The part is the temperature control module. The next day I notice that the noise started again as soon as the music came on. So I unplugged the ipod from the usb and the noise stopped. In all I think the cue radio is the problem.

Last edited by Puertoricanghst; 08-06-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:58 PM

Any luck with this? My 2013 ATS is making the exact same noise and it drives me nuts during my commute They want $2500 just to take apart the dash and diagnose! Help please

Old 10-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Default Chirping noise

Unfortunately car manufacture's love to hide stuff inside dash boards. My experience, including environment systems in VW's is that the chirping comes from a worn bearing on the fan shaft which is common with non-lubricated electric motors/fans. Sometimes the fan and its electric motor are assembled as one unit.

If you take out the cabin filter you can often see the fan; sometimes a dental view mirror helps. While doing so, listen to see if the chirping sounds louder with the filter removed and your ear closer.

My "back-yard" fix is to shut off fan and put a dab of (say) 3-in-1 oil on a quetip and try to dab it on the bears at each end of the fan shaft. Obviously only works if you can get at them. Start the fan and see if you lucked-out.

Its worked for me and its a cheap "try" even if you have to do it occasionally. Dan

Originally Posted by faliciac
Any luck with this? My 2013 ATS is making the exact same noise and it drives me nuts during my commute They want $2500 just to take apart the dash and diagnose! Help please

Old 10-11-2020, 05:28 PM

hmm I got the filter replaced at the dealer and I'm getting that sound. I was thinking ta fan was hitting the filter.... guess I need to take it back. if it's a module or something the car has a very good warrantee

Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Default Noise

If it started when dealer changed the cabin filter its his problem. Hard to image a radio affecting this. Module components with moving electrical components such as solenoids may make a humming sound but moving parts like fans have bearings that may make more of a screeching sound if worn. Either could occur random or periodic. Remove filter and check for a tree leaf or piece of paper in the fan cage area.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:01 AM

Did you ever find what was making the noise and what the solution was? I have the same issue. I notice my noise always occurs when the car is hot and I set the AC to a low temperature to cool the car down.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:41 AM
Default Noise in dash

My personal experience with my '84 Eldo was that e frame.the vinyl dash frame had shrunk and the speedo needle was rubbing on the frame. I discover this by driving without the dash frame on. So I sanded the back side of the dash frame to eliminate the situation.