FAQ Frequenly Asked Technical Questions. This section is read only, and posts are made by the staff. If you have something to contribute contact any moderator.

GM Cadillac - COOLANT SUPPLEMENT

  #1  
Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Stealth's Avatar
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,945
Default GM Cadillac - COOLANT SUPPLEMENT

ORIGINAL name witheld by request

(GM power train Eng.)

much has been written about the coolant pellets. Search using GM coolant supplement or something like that. In any event, the Pellets are simply a sealer or stop leak if you like. There is nothing magic nor mysterious about them. They are simply ground up ginger root and walunt shells and are the same material that BarsLeaks puts in their sealer minus the dark soluable oil. The dry, powdered BarsLeaks "Gold" in the clear plastic tube at Walmart is the exact same material. The sealer or stop leak is recommended for the all aluminum engines due to the increased likelyhood of a tiny seep or leakage due to the difficulty in sealing aluminum at gasketed surfaces and the chance of porosity opening up in the diecast aluminum parts.

Almost every manufacturer of engines installs the cooling system sealer at the factory....Cadillac, Chevy, Gm, Ford, RollsRoyce....etc. The list of buyers that BarsLeaks ships to is long and distinguised. You can even buy the stuff at the Chevy parts counter as Chevies use it too....



COOLANT SUPPLEMENT - granules and pellets

This is the same stuff as the pellets below .. look for the words "GOLD" or "golden seal"
the packages change often, but the GOLD or GOLDEN SEAL labels remain.
both this one and the pellets are organic, ground GINGER


Ginger has the unique quality of EXPANDING when wet AND exposed to air or gases
that attempt to dry it. fills pores and cracks to stop leaks but tightens its grip by expanding
when exposed to drying.

(this is NOT METALLIC POWDER which i strongly advice AGAINST
for use in schedule maintanence..)


the pellets can be purchased at any GM or FORD dealer or parts dealer by
the part number designated by each manufacturer, but are available as Bar's
GOLD or GOLDEN SEAL
at many retail stores that carries automobile items..
the granuled tubes are more readily available at all retails outlets.

DOSAGE - One Tube Treats Cooling Systems up to 2 Gallons



this is what GM puts in the engines at the factory,
in fact GM buys it from this company:

DOSAGE - TWO pellets per Gallon



"Bar's Leaks Cooling Radiator Stop Leak & Conditioner tablets inhibit the formation or rust and scale, neutralize pH imbalance, controls electrolysis, lubricates and seals internal, external and coolant-to-oil leaks.

These are the same tablets as used by many OEM auto and truck manufacturers. Bar's Leaks Cooling Radiator Stop Leak & Conditioner is designed to enhance the use of antifreeze or can also be used in water. When used in water alone, it is also recommended to use a cooling system anti-rust and water pump lube.

Bar's Leaks Radiator Stop Leak Tablets are compatible with ALL brands of antifreeze including conventional green or blue (silicate-based) and extended life red/orange or yellow (OAT/HOAT) coolant. For most vehicles leaks stop in only a few minutes."


 
  #2  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Stealth's Avatar
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,945
Default

Originally Posted by slowroll View Post

GM recommends to add the coolant cookies any time coolant is drained. The cookies are supposed to seal minor leaks and lubricate water pump so as to extend its service life. Cookies are NOT TO BE ADDED TO DIESEL COOLING SYSTEM, because they could shorten the service life of water pump. There is a TSB about it. All gasoline engines should have 2 tabs added except Cadillac 4100, 4.5l, and 4.9l which should have 6 tabs (because of its unique construction).
GM Engines ...

4100, 4500, 4900 engines .. 6 tabs
All Northstar engines, 2 tabs



.
 
  #3  
Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM
92_Daddylac's Avatar
Tech Certified Members
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus Ne
Posts: 407
Default

good info if possible this should be a stickie so we wont have to search for it it will allways be at the top of the FAQ.
 
  #4  
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
stomper's Avatar
Tech Certified Members
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,701
Default

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac View Post
good info if possible this should be a stickie so we wont have to search for it it will allways be at the top of the FAQ.
i think whatever makes it into this section is pretty much sticky FAQ material even if not seen as a stickily.




.
 
  #5  
Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 42
Default

Bars Leaks 6 pack pellets says on back of package Install 2 tablets per gallon of cooling system capacity,,,,,,my 95 seville sts holds 3 gallons as that would be all 6 pellets. If vehicle does not have a regular radiator cap, remove top hose where it attaches to radiator and install tablets in hose and then reinstall hose. Tablets may be crumbled or predissolved for easier application.
NOTE: MOST VEHICLES WILL USE ALL SIX TABLETS.
 
  #6  
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Stealth's Avatar
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,945
Default

Originally Posted by STSevilleSTS View Post
Bars Leaks 6 pack pellets says on back of package Install 2 tablets per gallon of cooling system capacity,,,,,,my 95 seville sts holds 3 gallons as that would be all 6 pellets. If vehicle does not have a regular radiator cap, remove top hose where it attaches to radiator and install tablets in hose and then reinstall hose. Tablets may be crumbled or predissolved for easier application.
NOTE: MOST VEHICLES WILL USE ALL SIX TABLETS.

Originally Posted by slowroll View Post

GM recommends to add the coolant cookies any time coolant is drained. The cookies are supposed to seal minor leaks and lubricate water pump so as to extend its service life. Cookies are NOT TO BE ADDED TO DIESEL COOLING SYSTEM, because they could shorten the service life of water pump. There is a TSB about it. All gasoline engines should have 2 tabs added except Cadillac 4100, 4.5l, and 4.9l which should have 6 tabs (because of its unique construction).
Originally Posted by Stealth

GM Engines ...

4100, 4500, 4900 engines .. 6 tabs
All Northstar engines, 2 tabs
I must repeat !!!


.
 
  #7  
Old 12-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15
Default

I can not find Bars pellets. My 2003 Deville with 82k has started to loose about 1 qt of coolant every 500 miles. No sign of leaks. I drained and refilled with 50/50 Dexcool at 65k.
Did not add any pellets or stop leak at that time. I have purchased a bottle of Bars liquid stop leak. Seeking advice before i pour it in.
 

Last edited by tommy; 12-03-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stomper
Aluminum Block V8s
1
11-11-2009 11:03 AM
cady97dev
Aluminum Block V8s
2
03-20-2009 08:10 AM
9treseville
Aluminum Block V8s
2
01-14-2008 01:02 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Cadillac - COOLANT SUPPLEMENT


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.