FAQ Frequenly Asked Technical Questions. This section is read only, and posts are made by the staff. If you have something to contribute contact any moderator.

1960 Cadillac parts question. Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Exclamation 1960 Cadillac parts question. Please HELP!!

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 1960 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (6 window config w/ AC) and have finally had a chance to do some work on it I’m starting with a decent tune up and maintenance on wear items. I have most of the parts I need but I am having trouble finding a few things and wanted to see if anyone else out there may know the answer to a few questions on parts for this year and model.

#1: The rear axle: The car is currently in a place where I cannot lift the back end up to spin the tire to see if it has a limited slip diff or just a standard diff, nor can I get to the ID tag on the rear end to research the model. I believe that Cadillac didn’t offer possi rears until 1964 or 1965. Does anyone know if this is correct or if my year Cadillac has a limited slip or a standard? Also I had called ACDelco for the gear oil in the rear so that I can change it out (I only use OEM parts, I refuse to use aftermarket stuff as much as possible on all my cars) they told me the correct gear oil for that car would be 80W-90. Looking online however there is a 80W-90 GL4 and also a GL5. Does anyone know the difference between them? Does anyone have an idea what GM gear oil would be best for this Cadillac?

#2: The transmission: I have already gotten the filter and oil pan gasket for the transmission but I am having a hard time finding the exact type of ATF that I will need for this car. The service manual I have for the car states that I need an automatic transmission fluid that is a Type “A”. Looking at the specs on GM Dextron VI, it claims to be able to replace all previous GM ATFs such as Dextron III and so on. Could I use VI in this car? Or maybe someone knows exactly what type of GM fluid I would need to get.

#3: Coolant: Same as the transmission, I having trouble figuring out what coolant I can use in this car. Can I use GM Dexcool? If not, any alternatives? Also does anyone know if the coolant to water mixture on this older cadillac differs from the standard 50% coolant 50% water mixture on newer cars? Finally does anyone see any problem with me using a Prestone radiator and block cleaner on this before I put the new coolant in the car? I have used it on my Tahoe and Silverado and it seams to have worked great cleaning out the corrosion at 100k miles but I did’t know if this would harm the older cars.

Any information you can give me would be a great help! Again I am really trying to stay as OEM as possible; GM and ACDelco parts. I have NO problem spending the extra money for the OEM parts, I know in some cases they are almost double but my motto is I’d rather pay for the quality part then buy some cheap part that I will need to change over and over again. Thank you in advance for any help you give!!

Thanks, James!