GM Cadillac with a V6 or a V8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Default GM Cadillac with a V6 or a V8?

Ordered our SRX last week! Ordered with the V6 with all the bells and whistles. . .did I blow it?
V6 or V8, what's your take?

Old 05-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Default RE: V6 or V8?

Car and Driver had written about a test they had with the SRX V6 a year or two ago. As you probably know, it's one of C & D's 5 best trucks. In their article, they said the V6 had enough pep to almost keep up with the V8. I think they said the V8 weight penalty offset the added performance, and C & D's recommendation was to buy the V6. Don't remember how much less you'd pay for one, but it's also better for your gas bill.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 PM

Feel better about the decision already, thanks viper!
Any input on maintenance issues between the V6 and V8?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 PM

No way! Great chose! I work in the plant and I must say that the 6 is a very strong engine. Field info shows very little trouble with the engine. The SRX is a very cool vehicle, Thanks for ordering it. If you have the order number forward it over and I'll take a peak at it as it goes through the system.

Thanks for ordering an American product!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:24 PM

I'm a traditionalist and believe if one buys a Cadillac it must be equipped with eight, large cylinders. Thankfully, the folks at Cadillac are smarter than I and have proven with the Northstar that 'large' isn't a prerequisite for horsepower and torque. My SRX is an '04 AWD with the V8. I was concerned the mechanics supporting the AWD would suck up a lot of horses, and they do. Nonetheless, while this car doesn't have the neck-jerking [& wheel hunting] torque of my '97 Eldo ETC, it does have smooth, graceful acceleration that should meet the needs of most Cadillac fans and pique the interest of the import-impaired.

The six is perfect for those concerned about fuel prices from a perception perspective. I, ever, have driven only one six in a Cad. Interested in the new CTS a couple of years ago, took a test drive. I've been driving Cadillacs since I was 18 so it wasn't a happy experience. Believe that was some morph'd Vauxhall motor that has long been dropped.

One suggestion, AT ALL COSTS, never take a test drive in a CTS-V. You'll regret any alternate purchase. They outfitted the car with the same motor as in my Z06 Corvette. The combination of Cadillac, the six-speed and 400 horses is overwhelming.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM

I work with a die-hard, traditionalist who believes only in caddy's also. His wish is the 16 cylinder revival from the 30's.

Iowavette, I agree with you about the CTS-V. If I were in the market for a CTS, it'd have to be a V. BUT, last year's V had the old Z06 400 horse motor, not the new 2006 Z06 engine. Autoweek was reporting that GM might throw the new 7 liter engine in the new CTS V, and might possibly call it the Super CTS V (or something like that). It was in Autoweek about 2 months ago.

I was afraid my AWD EXT was going to suck gas too, but I live and work in town (a rarity in California), so when I fill up on gas, it'll cost about $96-$99, but I don't have to fill up for another 4 weeks or so.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
?

My 2005 SRX is a V8, but I think next time I'll get the V6. I almost NEVER use full throttle with the V8, so why have the power? At present it adds about $5,000 to the price of the car.

Barry Rooker
'05 SRX AWD

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

I would still like to know I have the power just in case. And if you go easy on the v-8 the gas mileage won't be that much worse then the 6. Also, IMO the v-8, percentage wise, might have a higer trade in value then the 6, it will probably come with more STANDARD features then the 6. I know, when given choices it can be complicated.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

It is a matter of preference. For me, it is DETROIT V8.
the so called 6-cyl fuel economy is far down the list of my priorities.
i dont know .... but i never seen a 6-cyl Vette or Ferrari ...

I know the 6-cyl have reigned for ages, in trucks, in agriculture .. and they are always bolting on superchargers to make them go well .. still, the Detroit V8 just feels better, and IMO, will have long lasting parts support.

IMO, Cadillac made one of the smartest moves in 25 years when they introduced the "V" Series and i dont see 6-cyl there.
"All V-Series Cadillacs feature high performance V8 engines mated to six speed transmissions ...."

Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Actually, the first Corvette was a 6 cylinder, and a very nice 6 at that.