Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Default Rear view mirror

Hello. New to forum, and new to Cadillac. Just purchased a used/abused 99 STS, and trying to fix up various minor problems.

One problem is the rear view mirror, which vibrates and rattles on the windshield mount. How do i remove the mirror from the windshield without cracking the plastic cover that seems to hide the windshield mount? Stupid question, but i'd rather ask and look stupid than crack something off.

There is also a flat connector just above the mirror hanging free, which seems to fit a black plastic electronic module that came in the glove compartment. The module appears to have been glued onto the windshield near the mirror. Any idea what this module is?

Overall, she's kinda cracked and filthy inside, the paint is not the greatest, brakes make a scraping sound with new pads, and something keeps thumping on the right rear quarter panel.. butI already love the car.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Rear view mirror

The little module is likely for "rain sense" wipers. Mirror should have "torx" set screw, loosen it and slide it up. (If the one, car came with)

Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks, slowroll.. i neverconsidered the mirrormight not be OEM.

It seems to just clip into place, no sign of any torx screws. I noticed these auto dimming/compass mirrors are sold brand new on eBay, might be something the last owner popped on to replace whatever fell off.

I'll assume the wiper sensing module was removed because it wasn't working... something to try out when i have more time.

I'm definitely gonna get a set of factory manuals for this new toy.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

hey geargrinder....welcome to the Forum! and good luck with the sts....you'll love the car, i'm sure......keep us postedwith your results. any electric problems with yours?
rickyd

Old 11-17-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm happy to say that other than the little module (rainsense wipers) and one occurence of a low battery (left it overnight, recovered enough to start in the morning), everything on her works. I get an intermittent low coolant warning, might have that famous head gasket issue which would explain why it was cheap; i pulled over a dollar's worth of coins out of the CD/tape deck (previous owner had kids, which explains the condition of the interior), and the battery is bouncing around in an annoying fashion, but no gremlins.

Yet.

But I'm cleaning those ground points others have mentioned, first chance i get.

I'm learning lots just browsing the forums; thanks again, folks..