Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

looking at new (to me) car

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Default looking at new (to me) car

Looking at a 99 STS with 100,000. From all my reading Oil leaks and head problems are the things to look for. This car had the head gaskets done and it includes a 100,000 mile warrenty on that work (problem is car has travled about 1400 miles from location work was doneso warrenty work is really out of question if it needs it. My question is, if done correctly (i know, big if there)does it generaly happen again (head gasket?) About the only test i can do is look for bubbles in tank, check dipstick and drive it and see if it overheats. I am really concerned about it since it has happened once. This car also has a couple elctical gremlins, radio cuts out and pass door window control does not work (drivers does control pass side so its not window motor). Electrical seems to be fixable with some ground hunting so I'm not to worried about this. The car appears to be in pretty nice shape, miles are low enough. the price is right (in fact its just over half of KBB for a good car in my area), that also concerns me, but with the econemy the way it is.. maybe its not so our of reason.

My parents have a 95 with 20,000 miles and I love the car, theirs is a elderado (2 door) but i would imagine they are very close. This is the reason im looking at one. I also will be on the road alot in the next few years and felt being comfortble was more important then mileage right now to me.

Anybody have any suggestions when i go look at hte car?

thanks!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: looking at new (to me) car

For me it comes down to the amount of money you have to pay and the risk you are willing to accept. Remember you are going to hear about problems by searching a board like this and there are probably 2,000,000 trouble free Sevilles/STS out there. Bottom line is what I would go by. You are going to be paying something like $2500 for the car so do you expect that it will serve you 10 years? If yes then don't buy it. In my opinion I'd stay away from a car that already had the heads repaired.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Certified Members

what do you have to pay for the car? who repaired the head gasket, and how many miles sense the repair. as Katz said,( in other words) it is what it is. and what do you expect from it.......
electrical..... all sounds like switches.....
how does the coolant look? oil? is the car a southern car? again.................$$$??? good luck!
keep the forum posted
rickyd

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Well I did buy the car, its hard to keep a subjective Eye when you take one for a drive. I got the car for a song (according to Kelly Blue Book) and am happy so far. it does have a couple hicups, but it is 10 years old. needed tires, no big deal, i plan on fdriving it 30-40,000 so that was a givin sometime in its life (and it had a bad one so it had a shake). had the "service security light" fix was a new key (or so it seems, so far so good). Passneger window control doesn ot work (can do with dirvers, so no big deal, but a summer project). Has (from reading the forums here) a bad inside air temp sensor.. not going to be fun puttin that in I dont think. And last but not least, doesnt blow heat on drivers side floor.. assuming a blend door? or maybe the bad snesor is cuasing problems?

it did give me a scare. Guy had just flushed coolant system and the Head problems with Caddies is really the biggest thing I was makeing sure it didnt have. Car had the heads done about 10,000 miles ago with a 100,000 warrenty (but was done in CA, and I'm in ND so is way to far to get warrenty help...) when I got it home and was dropping off guy who gave me ride we where sitting talking with car idleing and heard a wierd noise and was steaming out of engine compartment.. I freaked, figured i had bought a problem and was extrmely disapointed.. popped the hood and it was comming from radiator cap. Cap was not on.. screwed it on and so far no problems. I did put some in (antifreeze) but guy I bought it from mentioned it may neeed some as he had just flushed it and didnt think he had as much in again. SO far i filled it and it seems to be holding. I am extremly worried about the heads.. mostly becuase i can do the work if it needs it (and will.. and I dont want too.. ND means about 10-30 degree temps ..can work inside with a propane heater, but would have to be done quick, so just simpley dont want to do it.

So .. so far I'm in love, been driving a Olds Alero (ok car, but its no caddy).. get about same mileage (seem to be doing about 24-26) and the alero sure wont smoke the tires at 40. been a good year, bought a 87 Vette earlier (love it too, but cant drive it in winter).

thanks for all the help