Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Front End Bang or clunk sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Default Front End Bang or clunk sound

Just got my 07 STS back from the dealer. Problem has been fixed!! And the answer is.............. Upper Control ARM.

Just like I thought. Apparently the bushings were bad. What an improvement!!

Eddiek

Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Front End Bang or clunk sound

now whats-up with that?????
rickyd

Old 09-22-2007, 11:35 AM

I thought you knew about the problem. I had made posts about it. I had a persistent rattle, bang or clunk in the front end. The control arm bushings were bad. They also had to re-align the hood latch that was replaced. (remember that one?) The hood was hitting the right front headlamp housing. Its OK now. Looks like everything is in order for now.
Thanks for listening. I was getting frustrated.

Eddiek

Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Great news, it is ashame they had to fool around so long changing out perfectly good parts. On the other hand these things are not always straight forward and they did stick with it for a positive resolution. I would write this one off as a clear case of "Manufacturing Defect".

Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Hey Katzmans Caddy

The only part that wasn't defective was the Strut. And even after that was replaced, the car at least rode better. Maybe it has some problems too. However, the steering grear and steering shaft were both defective. The sevice dept. siad the same thing you did. That it was a shame I had to put up with that on a new car. At least they were determined to fix the problems and not accuse me of being too fussy. It makes wonder how the car got thru final inspection at the Lansing plant because it did have obvious paint problems too. Trunk lid and hood edges were not completely painted.
Thanks for you replies.

Eddiek

Old 09-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Eddiek

It makes wonder how the car got thru final inspection at the Lansing plant because it did have obvious paint problems too. Trunk lid and hood edges were not completely painted.
Monday car. Btw you can call me Katz, everyone else does!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:47 PM

OK KATZ. Yeah probaly Monday car and bottom of the barrel for the parts. Production date was 05/07.

Eddiek

Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 PM

I have an 06 STS that has a rattle when going over bumps at low speed, it also bangs when the wheel is turned and hits a bump. Could this be the same problem ?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Hi DCo6STS

Thats what mine was doing. Mine was a combination of bad parts. Mine was really noticeable when going slow thru a parking lot or down a side street at 25 mph. The steering shaft replacement eliminated the rattle when I drove down a concrete side street and the upper control arm took care of the rattles at slow speeds thru parking lots. It also took care of the bang when going up and turning into my driveway.The upper control arm bushings were bad. I jacked the car up nad rotated the front left wheel back and forth with my finger on the bushing and there waas more play than was normal.
I just got back from driving my car before checking the forum and an still amazed at how solid and rattle free my car is now. It was pretty disapointing at first. The upper control arm also took care of the harshness in the ride at higher speeds.
All I can say is go to your service dept and let them know that is not how a Cadillac is supposed to be. My dealership
was on my side from the beginning. How many miles on your STS and when did you first notice the rattle? Mine started from day one. Does your car make a baing sound when sitting at idle when you turn your steering wheel all the way to the let? Mine did that too. It was the bad steering gear.

Eddiek

Eddiek

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Hi Eddiek,

I have 19,900 miles on my STS. I bought it with 6,100 miles and it has made the noises from day one. And it does make a loud noise when turning the wheel all the way to the left.

DC

Quick Reply: Front End Bang or clunk sound