Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Engine Issue 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Default Engine Issue 4.6

2002 Cadillac STS 4.6L engine, 75K miles, carserviced at dealer since new, engine was burning oil above specs, performed de carbon process, still burning to much oil and went in under warranty for rings etc, dealer determines it was a bad engine. The dealer tells me the enigne is no longer available and the best they can do is replace it with an engine that has 55K miles on it. Engine issue is out of my league, anyone else have similar issue and what steps were you offered to correct. I don't like the fact I am getting a replacement engine with 55K miles on it and I have no idea if it was maintained properly. I have a hard time believing no new engines are out there for replacement. The dealer also tells me I am only covered up to my 100K mile car warranty on the new engine which will be over in around two years. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Engine Issue 4.6

hey cuse..... could i ask a question first.........? how much oil does your 4.6 use? 2 quarts a 1000? i guess it doesnt matter because, your dealer is going to replace it anyway, but. as you probobly know the N*s USE OIL....... it is something ive learned to live with...... imo, if the dealer is going to put a 55k mi engine in it verses your 75k mi engine, you'll have the same....... soon. I would get another opinion.
rickyd

Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 PM

RickyD.[/align]You are right on pacing at 2 quarts per 1,000. It was over specs and I did the carbon clean for around $500, it didn't work. The dealer told me the engine was probably bad from the start and they would replace it. They told me the engine was discontinued and they can't get one. The best he could do was a 55K mile engine. I agree that I am going to be back in the same position and after having cared for my engine I am not comfortable taking any piece of crap they give me. I will only have about 25K miles on the warranty and at that point I am screwed. I have always bought American and always will, but I picked up a Honda Accord from a neighbor that was in a cash crunch back in 1992, the sucker is close to 200K miles and Ihave only performed routine maintenance.I need to get back on my bike.[/align]Thanks for your reply.[/align]

Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

cuse..... mine burns about2 quart every 1000 mi., and im use to it.... i really believe that is the nature of the beast. that being said, at least i know i have fresh oil in'er.... lol...... and it sort of pisses me off having to oil change every 3000. to 5000 mi. depending on my driving conditions....... i feel like im always changing good oil......
rickyd.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM

RickyD.
I would have preferred just adding the oil, too. I have really cared for the car. When they went in to do the rings, they told me there was something wrong with the engine and they couldn't do what needed to be done. I understand there are a lot of extras and aluminium on the "high performance" stuff with this engine and the report was things were warped. I do not know enough about the engine to tell you more, but I guess in the '02 year there was a high performance engine that was in the car.The issue I have is on my warranty I am not sure I should be satisfied taking a usedengine with 55Kmiles, that will only have 25K miles left on my 100K mile warranty. If theywould stick a new engine in, ok, I am back to square 1. I am worried this engine was not cared for as well as the one it is replacing, but I was told the 4.6 high performance engine that was originally in the car was discountinued. Thank you for your response.

How do you know what you are getting with a used engine?

Do you have to accept a used engine?

Anyone else experiencing thesame issue and howdid yourdealer handle the warranty?

Thank you.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hereare brand new engine for you, show them!

http://peterborough.kijiji.ca/c-cars...QQAdIdZ6382665

http://www.psengines.com/GM8.htm

Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks Katzmans

Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

Extended warranties can have provision that allow for used vs. new or reman engines. Your engine is not discontinued, there are still some 02s still under certified warranty. Non GM/used parts are a big ( they aren't paying for it) no no's. For aftermarket warrantys they may cost more than they are willing to spend. Oil use in northstar is well do***ented, dealers who distribute BG products should be ableto offer"squid service" which is not cheap but very effective in freeing piston rings, the cause of most concerns. Periodic WOC will help keep them free.For owners who are on their own I would try the "squid". Northstars use oil but 1 quart per 2k is the spec.(avg)

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks Slowroll, I was using 2qts per 1k and I did do the decarb to try and free everything. The dealerwas going in to repair the engine and determined thatsomething was wrong and it would need replacement. The policywas from CNA and they will cover the engine. The warranty was not an issue and they approved what the dealer put in front of them. The issue is finding a new engine in the Phoenix area. The engine they want to use is a GM engine with 55K miles. The concern I have is not knowing anything about where the engine came from or how it was maintained. Anyone know who has one of the high perfromance engines that was available in the 02 STS in the Phoenix area? Thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: syracuse

.........................The issue is finding a new engine in the Phoenix area. ....................................... Thanks
I dont think the issue should have to do with where the part/s come from.
It appears to me that GM warranty is attempting to save money. If your warranty says that you are entitled to "new", then you are.
I would also be wary of a replacement rebuild. If anything, I would prefer to have my existing re-built instead.

But like said. If your warranty does entitle you to New and not Re-furbished, so to speak, then they will have to pay the shipping. As long as you stand up and dont let them make you accept other wise.

Quick Reply: Engine Issue 4.6