Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

99 sts trans seems loose (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default 99 sts trans seems loose (?)

FLCaddytech, I see your on line, and responded to a trans problem on 7-27....where the dude's 95 sts wouldn't go over 55...yaya i can't drive 55 either..... anyway the 99sts has 68k, I service the hell out of it....what ever it needs, and go to GM service, and parts..... heres whats up I feel a slight delay in the trans, both on and off the pedal. feel it more in 3rd gear...... any thoughts?
I'm sort of new to this Fourm, and don't know if this will get to you, but if you don't respond you all are great, i'm sure someone will. I spend a lot of time here when I can, and really give thumbs-up to all of you who help us
rickyd

Old 08-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 sts trans seems loose (?)

I'm not sure ireally understand the symptoms you are experiencing.
You say you can't go over 55mph. what happens at 55? please be as detailed as you can.
It's tough sometimes to diag these cars even when i get to drive them, let alone just with a couple sentences over the Internet.

Have you checked for any trouble codes yet?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

FLCaddytech, Sorry I didn't explain enough..... Can't drive 55....like the song.....and i never do...lol Anyway, I'd call it slop in the drive line.EX: driving at any speed, let off the gas, and there is like a 2 second delay in the drive line. At that same coast, step on the gas, another 2-3 second delayfor drive line to hit.Might add, I feel it more in if I put trans in gear 3. Sorry 'bout the can't drive 55.....lol. The car goes as fast as any north*.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

More than likely what you are feeling is somewhat normal.
Here is the complaint i have seen 50 times or more:

"At 45-55mph i let off the gas, when i press it again it jerks then goes."

From our experience it comes from a combination of things.
First off, once you know how to "make it do this" it becomes more noticeable than if you just ignore it and drive the car.
A broken front motor mount will make it more noticeable.
A transmission flush will sometimes help create a smoother downshift and tcc release.
Last but not least, you have the first year of a redesigned engine/trans mounting system that allows more movement in the driveline than previous models. Actually i think 98 was the first year for the STS, but still its the same car. They went to this setup in 2000 for the Deville.

Without driving your car i can't say "don't worry about it" but you are at the mileage with the year/model thathasthis drive line "delay".

Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yes....Drive line delay......Thats a great way to discribe it...... however, itdoes this at at any speed. The 45-50mph sounds more like the torque converter, if those are still around. Anyway, I'm not to concerned after hearing from you..... though maybe I'll have the engine mounts looked at.
Thank You FLC
rickyd