Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

'97 Cadillac STS Hot Rod in the making ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Default '97 Cadillac STS Hot Rod in the making ?

Finally bought my first cadillac, its not the greatest but itsa start. Its a 1997 sts black with tan interior, I have tons of plans for this car, im very much into engine mods but have no clue where to start with the northstar. Im also going to be doing some interior and exterior mods as well. I look foward to talking with all of you and look foward to the great advise of the veteran caddy owners.

Frank

================
Moderator edit:
Title

Old 11-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Finally, New member

A Black '97 STS is pretty damn good.

Foxpaws started by revamping the exhaust and getting the ponies up ont he N*.
then went on to tune the suspension the Caddy,
I also gave Fox a source for Superchargers.
Fox can smoke many a car out there.

But I gotta tell you, no pictures to go by? interior / ext
that makes it very hard.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 AM

I will post pics asap, just wanted to get on here and check things out, the car has had its engine replaced through a gm dealership, and it rides soooo smooth, I am very interested in putting a power adder on the car. I have owned many fox stangs and my power adder of choice was always nitrous and was wondering if anyone here has done that and what kit they used, and how much they sprayed. etc etc...Although the thought of boost interests me alot but have heard many stories of head gasket failure. But pics will come soon.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

cleancaddy..... welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the sts..... thats my car of choice, big time........ good luck with the mods .....your in great hands here in this Forum. good people, good knowledge, and lots of laughs...... have fun.
rickyd

Old 11-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Certified Members

Wow - one of my favorite big boy Caddies... You have a great sleeper there.

And black - best color

In '97 there was a Z-Rated option - one that took the governors off the engine so it could go well above 150, had Z-rated tires, a stiffer suspension programming, a different torque converter so the car can switch into 4th gear at wide open throttle and lock the converter up under full power, and a bit larger cooling system so you can stand on it. Sort of pre-"v" series. It would allow you to see almost any stock corvette in the rear view mirror...

Oh, tell me you have that....

Although - most of those were sold to the European market - I think very few in the US.

If not - first thing I would do is take care of the exhaust and intake - although, you probably have sensors on the cats - so you might have to do cat-back only, or check with Magnaflow and see if they have a work-around on the cats.

Also - I know they have chips for the engine - although - I am still waiting to hear from someone to see how his chip worked on his northstar - he had it dyno'd before - but hasn't gotten it dyno'd since the change out - these are de-tuned racing engines, and changing the programming should help them a lot.

Post photos... please.....

Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Thanks foxpaws, im not sure if it has those features you are saying, and I will have pics up soon, the int is in a little rough shape and the exterior paint is good. I will be dying the carpet and headliner black and leaving the seats and console tan. My next upgrae will be to install a hid kit that I have which came off a 04 lexus gs430. I will def open up the intake and exhaust for sure gith away. I work in a repair shop and my fathe owns one as well and im a detailer so I have tons of tools and expertise on my side. I know of an excellent excellent tuner near by, so if there is a way to tune this car he will make it happen. This is the only pic I have as I looked at it while deciding to purchase, the car gets picked up monday and *** soon as it does I will take some more. This way I have before and afters. I will also sometime next weel or the week after make a few dyno pulls and perhaps a 1/4 mile run.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s123/caddy.jpg

Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 AM

haha, just noticed the title change!! Who did that?

Old 11-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

probably stealth on the change...

Good luck with the mods - I have an Allante with a northstar, and it is nice to be able to smoke 5.0 'stangs. Tell us if your tuner/mapper can do anything with the computer - I have been told unless you have access to the Delphi codes it is really hard to do.

We actually just ported the air intake - since there wasn't any cold air intakes out there for it - and upgraded the air filter to an AFE dry - I don't like oiling filters - lazy I guess. And cleaning up the exhaust added many, many ponies... https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11819/tm.htm

Old 11-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default '97 Cadillac STS Hot Rod in the making ?

ORIGINAL: cleancaddy

haha, just noticed the title change!! Who did that?
hey, you got attention, right?

the TITLE does make a difference.
people DO judge by the cover of the book.

=================

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

probably stealth on the change...

Good luck with the mods - I have an Allante with a northstar, and it is nice to be able to smoke 5.0 'stangs. Tell us if your tuner/mapper can do anything with the computer - I have been told unless you have access to the Delphi codes it is really hard to do.

We actually just ported the air intake - since there wasn't any cold air intakes out there for it - and upgraded the air filter to an AFE dry - I don't like oiling filters - lazy I guess. And cleaning up the exhaust added many, many ponies... https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11819/tm.htm

Fox,

say what with the 5.0 Stangs?

Remember, there are several types of 5,.0's:
Carbs ..
EFI,
Carbs MODS
EFI Mods
Supercharged
GT's any of the above.
Any of the above, automatic ir manual 5 speeds
Lastly, OK driver and extraordinary drivers.

Now, can you please be specific?

I do have to explain it to my '86 GT as she is getting quite upset over such implications,
if she wasnt RED, she be RED by now.

Of course, to her, an Allante is an Allante since she rooms with one, now and then.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM

haha..yea thanks for the attention, and i too have owned many a five oh and have not lost to a cadillac ever, havent raced to many a few cts v's but not close races.....I do want a sleeper though, I would be satisified and I will make it a goal of mine to have a 13 sec sts.....of course as a car nut im sure once I hit that goal, my next would be 12 sec..hehehe

Quick Reply: '97 Cadillac STS Hot Rod in the making ?