Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

Leak in Rear cargo area by Jack/storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Leak in Rear cargo area by Jack/storage

I don't know when it started, but I have quite a bit of water which has collected under the 3rd row seat of my 2004 SRX. The cargo area where the jack is has about 1/4 of a wet/dry vac full of water.

Anyone have this problem and more importantly, anyone know where this water is coming from?

Geesh!
Al

Old 05-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Leak in Rear cargo area by Jack/storage

i have this same problem. do you have a sunroof? i'm trying to find it right now.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Sunroof drain lines can get clogged or disconnected.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

get in the car and have someone hit it with water spray while you look from inside.
all dry weatherstriping should be tight enough to hold a $1 bill with a good drag.

but as Gary said, be sure the drains are open.
i like to blow off all drains with a high pressure water nozzle
about 4 times a year. it is in my maint schedule.

if drains are clogged and stubborn, use a long metal wire with a protected
plastic tip so you dont scratch the metal inside. make sure the plastic
tip will not come off. "shrink electrical tubing" works wonders.

you may want to get under the car and open the "drains" there.
usually they come with a rubber plug as most cars dont need the draining.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 PM

There are many areas in the rear of the SRX that could leak and all the water ends up in the jack compartment. If it where me, I would replace the liftgate w/s and seal the pinchweld flange the w/s sits on. If the weather seal is not seated good on the pinchweld, water can find its way into the rear comp.
Then, take a peek at the area for the liftgate hinges. You might find water getting into the seams that are next to the hinges. The water will find its way into, yes you guessed it, the jack area. You will probably find signs of water on the headliner material. Oh yes. then if you have an ultraview car, the glue may have cracked or as always had a void in the glue. That one is hard to locate. Oh yes, on ultraview jobs, under the luggage rack there is a seam that may have not gotten sealed at the factory. You will find it just in front of the stud for the rear luggage rack fastener. Good Luck

Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM

This problem turned out to be the rear hatch seal. It was replaced and the problem was resolved. Thanks for all the help and insight!

Al

Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

glad you found it.

tell us how did you ID the problem?
the next guy will learn from you.

thanks

ORIGINAL: kbrkr

This problem turned out to be the rear hatch seal. It was replaced and the problem was resolved. Thanks for all the help and insight!

Al

Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 AM

There are 50 different reasons for this. This is a KNOWN problem that alot of people with SRX's experienced on the other "stuck up" cadillac forum. GM won't issue a recal and would rather fix them one by one until your warranty runs out. They can't recall it because there are too many different possible causes for this. The rear seals seam to be the most common however. I have this problem too.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ucyiwork

There are 50 different reasons for this. This is a KNOWN problem that alot of people with SRX's experienced on the other "stuck up" cadillac forum. GM won't issue a recal and would rather fix them one by one until your warranty runs out. They can't recall it because there are too many different possible causes for this. The rear seals seam to be the most common however. I have this problem too.
Marcus thanks for that info. Glad you made it over to the "un" stuck up cadillac forum.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Just joined the group, I too have a water problem in the jack compartment area. I haven't had a chance to try to track it down yet. I have the '04 SRX. My question is,
where does one find the weather seals? At the dealer? On line?

Quick Reply: Leak in Rear cargo area by Jack/storage