Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Default Engine Light

Bought an 04 SRX V8 AWD three weeks ago - been in for service three times already!! Reason being is the engine light keeps coming on. We keep bringing it in - they keep saying its fixed (some sensor or something) and days later, it comes on again.

The car had a rough idle with the first visit. Knock wood - that's been okay.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

This is the first used car I've ever purchased and it's making me nervous - almost wish I could exchange it.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Default RE: Engine Light

Bought my '04 new. While I've run Shell Premium since purchase, my husband recently filled it up with cheap gas [what is it with you guys?] from a convenience store. His theory has always been, as he points to the tanks alongside I-29, "The gas all comes out of the same spigot." Clearly, not. The engine light came on and have experienced several rough idle starts after flawless service the past year. In any event, I've been topping the tank whenever possible attempting to dilute the swill with good stuff. Believe the manual indicates changes in fuel will lead to idling problems and the engine light.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Funny you mention that. We just ran the first two tanks of less than premium and the car shifts hard between 25-30; nothing but premium from here on.

The Engine light turned out (after three visits) to be a faulty gas cap. They put a new one on and, knock wood, it has not happened again.

Sounds like we both have similar vehicles in the garage: Corvettes and Cadillacs. Hopfully the Caddy will be as dependable as the Corvette.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 PM

It could be that your vehicle's mass air flow sensor is the problem. A faulty air-flow sensor will eventually affect the fuel mixture which is monitored by the oxygen sensors. Also be careful when replacing the gas cap tightly after you refuel make sure it clicks at least three times.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM

My '04 had a faulty cat. converter. Lucky it was still undre warranty.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:22 AM

Mine failed as well, I have an 05. It was also under warranty. Anybody have any clue what's going on?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
?

I've had the check engine light come one several times and the dealer says it's either cheap gas or a loose gas cap.

Barry Rooker
'05 SRX

Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

check the gas cap, sometines not loose, sometimes there could be a crack in the gas cap.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

check the gas cap, sometines not loose, sometimes there could be a crack in the gas cap.
move to Pa........they check it for you every year...for $30.00......thats the only thing they do for Stateemission check.......geeeeeeeeee, go figure$$
rickyd

Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 PM

I had the same issue and I was told the same story that they seem to be using....bad gas or loose gas cap. Last time I checked it doesn't take a college education to screw on a cap ( I was even told by the receptionist when I called that it was the gas cap and the light will go away). Long story short after I get the gas cap changed at the dealer, I pull out of the service station and not more that 1/2 mile the check engine ligth comes on. I go back and then after 10 minutes they say I have to schedule to come back to get my timing chain/belt changed. I also noticed that the SRX has been very sluggish going up hills on the highway so now it all makes sense.

Still a bit upset because I think they knew about the issue when they sent me on my way the 1st time. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Engine Light