Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Seville (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-seville-16/)
-   -   PREMIUM GAS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-seville-16/premium-gas-742/)

DEEBEE 06-22-2006 09:55 PM

PREMIUM GAS

WITH THE HIGH PRICE OF GAS THESE DAYS I WAS CONSIDERING USING REGULAR OR MID GRADE GAS TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS. IS THIS A BAD IDEA OR COULD IT DAMAGE THE ENGINE? THANKS !!

FLCaddytech 06-22-2006 10:21 PM

RE: PREMIUM GAS

Take it easy on the car and it will be ok. If you hear it knocking under accel (hot days are worse) switch to a higher octane.

VetteViperGuy 06-23-2006 12:49 PM

This is what I have heard: If your car manufacturer recommends 91 octane, you can still put in 87 octane gas, and it won't hurt the car. The onboard computer will compensate the timing and the engine won't knock. The only "adverse" affect to filling up with regular gas, instead of premium, is that you won't make all the power that your can with premium gas.

For my Vette, it's only premium gas. For the 'Lade, I've never tried regular gas, but it's just because I'm so accustom to pushing that "premium" button....they've got me programmed....

FLCaddytech 06-23-2006 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: VetteViperGuy

This is what I have heard: If your car manufacturer recommends 91 octane, you can still put in 87 octane gas, and it won't hurt the car. The onboard computer will compensate the timing and the engine won't knock. The only "adverse" affect to filling up with regular gas, instead of premium, is that you won't make all the power that your can with premium gas.

For my Vette, it's only premium gas. For the 'Lade, I've never tried regular gas, but it's just because I'm so accustom to pushing that "premium" button....they've got me programmed....
The only problem with lower octane is knock happens before the computer pulls timing. The older cars (pre 00 or there about) are not as good at protecting an engine from knock, so keep an ear open when you step on the throttle. If you can hear it, its pretty bad.
Not saying its gonna blow up the first day, but i've cracked pistons twice in my boosted 4banger by not running 93.[:@]

DEEBEE 06-24-2006 01:53 AM

THANKS FOR THE INFO, BUT MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT A 95 SEVILLE SLS WITH 100K MILES. I HAVE ALWAYS USED PREMIUM AS SPECIFIED. I LOVE THE VEHICLE AND DON'T WANT TO HURT IT BY USING A LESSER OCTANE FUEL...JUST THOUGHT I COULD SAVE A BUCK OR TWO UNTIL GAS PRICES COME DOWN AGAIN AT THE END OF THE SUMMER. ( IF THAT HAPPENS )

greezy1 05-17-2008 07:29 AM

use 35lbs of air in tires that will save gas

stomper 05-17-2008 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: greezy1

use 35lbs of air in tires that will save gas

will also give you better traction.
I go 36 to 38 psi

but the ride will be a bit stiffer.

SwampeastMike 06-20-2008 05:58 PM

"Premium Required" at the fuel gauge isn't there for nothing. Add older car with low miles that you "love" and have always used premium tells me that you should continue.

G.A.R.Y. 06-21-2008 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampeastMike

"Premium Required" at the fuel gauge isn't there for nothing. Add older car with low miles that you "love" and have always used premium tells me that you should continue.
i agree that "premiun required" always use the highest octane.

"Premium recommended" you can use a lower octane with no damage to the engine and the knock sensor should take care of the rest.

thewood 06-21-2008 06:35 PM

Is it really worth saving a fewdollars now and paying thousands of dollars later on engine repair? Think about it and do the math. IMO it doesn't make any sense.