Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

GM Cadillac 1996 SeVille codes .. just saying hello

Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Default GM Cadillac 1996 SeVille codes .. just saying hello

Hi everyone, I have spent the past four hours between last night and now this morning reading some of your great site. Let me say that i have become the care giver of Mom's 96 seville since we lost Pa last year. The cars in pretty good shape being in the garage all the time except when she has to go some where. It has just turned 94,000 miles this week when i had taken it out to see if there was a problem with it or not. Mom had told me that she had seen a message on the dash that had said something about cooling or refrigerant or something along those lines, but as she has in the past hit the button on the dash to make the message go away before the message had sunk in.

That's my mom, anyway the message that she normally shuts off is the air ride attention message that the dealer has disabled for her a while back but the computer keeps putting up the message every now and then. So when i took the car for a ride i didn't see anything come up on the dash as far as a warning so i told her to let me know if it happens again. The temp. gauge was right in the middle and didn't seem to have any smell of any kind when i pulled back into the garage. I opened the hood with car running and didn't see or hear any leaks of any kind.

I must admit there is a difference between my Olds Toronado Trofeo (89) and her Caddy. In my car I can pretty much see where everything is, but hers is going to take some getting used to. I also have an 02 Monte Carlo with 36,000 on her that the wife drives. Anyway I wanted to stop in and say hello to all the forum members and hopefully if i have any problems with Mom's Caddy i can pick some brains of the guys in the know....

==================

Moderator Edit:
Title edit and move to SeVille forum

Old 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: just saying hello

Hey Peter welcome to the site. Sorry for the loss of Pa. If you have any questions in particular just post them in the appropriate area and when a tech rolls around to it you should get the help you need.

Good luck, see ya around.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

hey zigyblu.... welcome to the Forum! ..........hope to see you around....great place for great advise and help.....good luck with the seville...... too bad 'bout you pa...sorry to hear.... ...you take care of your mom now......
late
rickyd

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Welcome to the Cadillac Forum!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default 1996 Cadillac Seville

welcome to our site.

One thing that jumps out at me is the codes and the cooling system.

IF the coolant has not been changed out in the past 24 months, I get that done yesterday.
There is a whole thread on that subject in the FAQ section.

Next thing, maybe get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL and a CODE Reader.
That '96 SeVille is hardly broken in, the mileage for a 11 year old car is nice, not to low, not too high.

Now you gotta keep the maintenance going and let her ride for another 30+ years,

Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Default RE: 1996 Cadillac Seville

Stealth , thanks for the tip on the coolant change. The cars going into my favorite auto repair shop on Monday morning for NY state inspection and while there I'll have the guys check it out and maybe do a system flush and refill.

Thanks for the warm welcome from the other members also. Pa was about to trade up when he took ill and Mom was arguing how she had gotten so attached to this one ( favorite shade of green ) that now she really would like to keep it as long as it doesn't become a problem. I don't see any trouble spots ahead so I'll keep my faith in preventative maintenance......