E-Ghosts, new twist

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Default E-Ghosts, new twist

Hello, I recently purchased a 1999 Seville STS. In the past 3-4 weeks,
there have been some small issues with the gas guage dropping to
empty, then after a bit, it may (or may not) come back up. Well, the
problem has continued to grow to the point where the entire cluster
will go blank, the maybe after a couple of minutes, will restart itself.
I've seen every error imaginable pop up at me. I also have had a dead battery, which I replaced, then about a week later, the new battery was completely dead (not even the security light would flash. I jumped it, and after idleing for about 1 minute, shut the car off, dissconnected the cables, and the car started right up, like the battery was fine.

I was told by a mechanic that it is probably a ground issue, but also suggested having my cluster pulled, and re-built. When he plugged his computer in, he said there was a bunch of "buss errors", and that re-building my cluster may help that. I have seen other issues with ground problems.

The car ran great from Tocoma to my hometown, (about a 8 hour drive) when I got home, I did have a non-chipped key made for it. That's when the problems started, but the mechanic said he did'nt see any errors for the theft module.

Where do I start? Any help?

Again, Thanks,

Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by darrenkuy
Hello, I recently purchased a 1999 Seville STS. In the past 3-4 weeks,
there have been some small issues with the gas guage dropping to
empty, then after a bit, it may (or may not) come back up. Well, the
problem has continued to grow to the point where the entire cluster
will go blank, the maybe after a couple of minutes, will restart itself.
I've seen every error imaginable pop up at me. I also have had a dead battery, which I replaced, then about a week later, the new battery was completely dead (not even the security light would flash. I jumped it, and after idleing for about 1 minute, shut the car off, dissconnected the cables, and the car started right up, like the battery was fine.

I was told by a mechanic that it is probably a ground issue, but also suggested having my cluster pulled, and re-built. When he plugged his computer in, he said there was a bunch of "buss errors", and that re-building my cluster may help that. I have seen other issues with ground problems.

The car ran great from Tocoma to my hometown, (about a 8 hour drive) when I got home, I did have a non-chipped key made for it. That's when the problems started, but the mechanic said he did'nt see any errors for the theft module.

Where do I start? Any help?

Again, Thanks,

Ground issues, probably, specially if it rains .. read our Electrical ghosts thread

buss errors .. probably connectors .. read our Electrical ghosts thread

rebuild the cluster? hell no .. one always starts with the low cost options not with the high end items that may not even fix it.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Default E-Ghosts, new twist

1999 Seville STS

Hello, new user, 2nd post. This is concerning Ghosts in the Electrical system. I've had this car about 1 month. It drove great on the way home on the 8 hour drive from the dealership, but after getting home, some issues have come up. Well the first thing I did without realizing it, was to have a copy of the key made at a local True Value Store. Not thinking about the transponder, I put the key in the door, and ignition to see if it worked. It opened the door, and did turn on the electrics (radio, etc.) but did'nt start the car. Until this point, the battery was starting the car with no problems. A couple of days later, the battery decided it wasn't going to start the car anymore. I put in a new battery, and everything was fine, but that's when the fuel gauge started dropping to empy, then back up, then to empty again. This was the first issue. Then about 3-4 days later, I went to start the car, and the battery acted like it was completly dead. Even the yellow security light would'nt come on. I hooked up jumper cables, and the car started right up. After about 1 minute of idleing, I dis-connected the cables, shut the car down,,,and it started right up, like the battery was completly charged. Now, within a couple of minutes of driving, the fuel gauge does it's thing, the temp. guage also pops all the way to hot, the ABS, the air bag, the suspension system, the theft system, the traction control...just about everything shows up on the DIC.

About 4 days ago, I re-booted the computer by dis-connecting the
+ & - battery cables for about 30 minutes, and then re-connected, and cleared all the codes. For the next 2 days, everything worked great. I thought I had solved the problem...until last night. The whole thing started again. This morning, I did the whole CPU re-boot, and again, the problem went away. I don't think this is a coincident, but I'm still not going to rule out a ground issue. I talked to a mechanic at Cadillac, and he said that because I had used a non-transponder key in the ignition, that would cause a whole lot of problems. When I took it into a local mechanic who has the GM computer, he plugged in and saw no codes that would imply that was the problem, but stated a ground on the "buss bar" could be the problem.

I have gone thru the fuse box in the engine compartment, and the one by the battery, and pulled/re-seated all the fuses. I pulled the main ground by the battery, and cleaned the bolt. Where else should I look for grounds? Also, I was following a thread by "rickyd" and he had the exact symptons my car does. It ends up his fix was replacing the RIM. When the DIC freaks out, I don't lose any lights (except for the DIC itself) the engine runs fine, headlights, etc. are all functioning.

I plan on taking the family down to S. Cal in about 2 weeks for Christmas, and I would sure love to have this resolved before I leave. Any help would be great,,

Thank You,
Darren

Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

for a couple hundred bucks get a RIM, and replace it... you should probably get a proper key forn the thing also. let us know how you make out.
isnt it a pain in the butt??? lol mine drove me nut for almost a year, and close to $3000. then slowroll mentioned...... change the RIM... bingo!!!!! all was good. with conditions as you state, gm tech support wil say start by changing the ignition, which...????? didnt help mine at all. IMO....Rear Integration Module...
rickyd

good luck....keep us posted.... have a good holiday!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Unhappy Codes from the Beasty

I just got back from a short drive, and already, the gas guage is dropping out. When I got back home, and tried to get the codes, the entire DIC went black. (it also does this while driving, but after a short time, will re-start.)
HERE ARE THE CODES:
ABS C1255 HISTORY
AMP U1016 HISRORY
DDM U1255 HISTORY
DIM U1255 HISTORY
DIM U1065 HISTORY
DIM U1016 HISTORY
DIM U1066 HISTORY
IPC U1098 CURRENT
IPM B1652 HISTORY
IPM U1255 HISTORY
IPM U1064 HISTORY
IRC U1129 HISTORY
IRC U1065 HISTORY
RIM U1016 HISTORY
RIM U1096 HISTORY
SDM B1163 HISTORY
SDM U1096 HISTORY
SDM U1040 HISTORY
RSS C1761 CURRENT
I've tried wiggling the key in the ignition, thinking maybe it was that. This drop-out of the guages does'nt seem to have anything to do with bumps, etc, as it will do this while sitting in my driveway.
Also, I've had the DIC tell me that voltage was at 17V, and speed was limited to 90mph. (don't know if this info. helps,,)

Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Certified Members

RIM.... i believe this the problem. esp if the gremlins appear without driving, and car is just sitting. by the way, what climate do you live in? also, you said you just bought the car. do you have any history, service records? have you called the dealer to see if you could possibly talk to previous owner? got to go ....get back

Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Certified Members

i dont think the key is the problem.

I would be my money on the RIM or lose harness connector or one of two dozen grounds.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Default RE-Ghosts:

Hello, as mentioned earlier, I've had the car about 1.5 months.
I have been looking for one like this for about a year. I found this
one on auto trader, located in Tacoma, WA. Quite a bit of rain
up there. I live in Gold Beach, OR. (about 45 miles up from the
California border on Hwy 101) about 2 blocks from the Pacific.
I've lived here on & off for about 35 years. We have about 6 months
of decent weather, then 6 months of off and on wet stuff.
Although, the car ran great on our drive back home, and for the
next week after that. We didn't have any rain, or cold weather
when it started doing it's thing. I think I'll take it to our local
mechanic (who is very good with type of thing) and mention
the DIC. Is there a way I can test this myself without sending
it out? If so, how do I get to it? I think it's behind the back-right
side of the back seat. I suppose a ohm meter might show a
bad ground at the DIC...
I do have to say, you guys have been GREAT!! Thanks for the
help/insight you've given so far. Thank You,
Darren

Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

DIC....Driver Information Center, is all your read-outs in dash.... Thats not it!! stomper mentioned grounds, and that's a possibility, however the problems you are having go through 3, or 4 different ground/ buzz boxes, so..... not sure. if car seems pretty corrision free,(electricaly) then i would suspect not grounds, and one, two, three, possibly 4 loose connections is unlikely also. ...... maybe.... if someone were messing around with them. again, change the darn RIM, and i think you'll be suprised. is it possible for you to switch one with someone to check it first?

your rim codes show it is not communicating, if i remember without looking it up. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2b.html#bod check it out
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 12-07-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Certified Members

Being IPC is only module showing current code it is where to start. As I have read cluster messes up only and 1 no start. What is the condition of cables themselves? Grounds are always a concern with Cadillacs. How often does condition occur? IPC is normally fails under an exchange type repair. Other possible - what is condition of fuse box under rear seat? Also any mods other than appearance?

Quick Reply: E-Ghosts, new twist