Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Canadian service shop for 1999 STS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Im quite surprised at the responses and replies regarding time-serts in the N#s.
Without a doubt we all know, and have know for quite some time, that they dont work.
But for so many to be not aware of the alternatives that have been used for at least a few years now....that really surprises me ?

I learned about it a couple years back in a different Lac forum. And I believe that GM is also aware of it and hasnt been using the Serts for quite some time.

Its not a Canadian thing either 92_Daddylac.
So dont worry your head bout thinkin bout movin LOL.
Its something Id heard about close to 3 years back. Im guessing its just the ignorant shops that dont want to and or dont care about progress and or new technology that are the ones that dont know.

I was really very surprised to hear that so many havent heard yet that there is an alternative to the Time-serts.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Thank you Mrmojorisin, it is great to know of another fellow Canadian out there on this forum. Yes, part of what I do is grinding. I have been a Toolmaker/Precision grinder in the automotive sector for a quarter of a century. I love what I do, and plan to keep doing it for a long time. I used a shop in Scarborough to repair my car. They did a very good job rebuilding my engine, and so far it is performing as expected. My car was a higher mileage car with the usual head gasket issue. I did some research and chose the shop I did based on this info. I suppose only time will tell if the repair method is successful.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Thumbs up

I am here to report that the general consensus about repairing a N* is WRONG!! I had my N* repaired (rebuilt to clarify the matter), and it is running superbly!

There is absolutely NO reason that a competent shop can not rebuild a N*. If the motor has good cylinder sizes with not too much wear, and all the other components are in good shape, then it CAN be done.

I have driven my car over 3000 km's in the last month or so. I have carefully followed a break in schedule. I am here to report that, if done properly, a N* can be rebuilt and can provide many more years of reliable service.

There are options other than buying a motor from an auto dismantler. I am fortunate to live in Canada, and be close to some very knowledgeable shops that can service this engine.