Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Default Better gas mileage

hey guys i just got my first caddy 94 Seville SLS 4.6 northstar with 104k, and i noticed that i get horrible gas mileage so i was wondering like what kind of things can i do to increase gas mileage? I was thinking about replacing the spark plugs because they havent been changed since i bought the car or maybe even longer, then i was thinking about going with a new air filter but i dont know what to go with. do they sell cold air intakes for caddys? or should i go with a cone style filter and if i do will that mess with the mass air sensor or anything and throw codes? any imput would be helpful thanks AJAX

Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Better gas mileage

Okay, so what is your MPG? Check tire pressures, etc.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 PM

on my dash monitor it is saying that im getting 12.6 mpg on average not instant.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

That would really suck, if it's true. Did you reset that reading when you got the car? What type of driving do you do? Does the car feel likes it's driving okay (missing etc.) ? Are there any codes?

It wouldn't hurt to take it to your local mechanic and have them check all fluids/filters/tires/codes etc.

Let us know.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM

no my car feels like it is driving fine, when you hit the pedal it takes the hell off. what is the normal average miles per gallon for a seville with a 4.6 N*? And the type of driving i do is all around town like going to school, work, barely any highway at all so what do you think i should do. i am going to replace the fuel filter, air filter(probably goin to remove air box and replace with cone filter), spark plugs and oil change. And im not sure but do front wheel drive car have seperate fluid for the transmission and if so i want to change the tranny fluid.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM

does any body know what the average miles per gallon is for a cadillac seville N*?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

I have a 1997 STS. Most of my driving is in town with little highway. I usually average about 13 to 14 mpg.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM

I drive a 2000 SLS mostly highway and I average between 21-23

Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ajax68960

no my car feels like it is driving fine, when you hit the pedal it takes the hell off. what is the normal average miles per gallon for a seville with a 4.6 N*? And the type of driving i do is all around town like going to school, work, barely any highway at all so what do you think i should do. i am going to replace the fuel filter, air filter(probably goin to remove air box and replace with cone filter), spark plugs and oil change. And im not sure but do front wheel drive car have seperate fluid for the transmission and if so i want to change the tranny fluid.
they do. but change BOTH fluid and filter/gasket.

then torque properly or pay later.

13 mpg to 24 mpg, depending on driving conditions/speeds, and tire inflation seems about the range i usually see posted.

as Gary suggested, reset your system and see what you get yourself.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 AM

I have a '01 STS. About 103K on odometer. Changed the spark plugs, filters and had a general tune-up recently. MPG went from under 20 to just over 23 on the highway. That's driving 70 to 80 MPH. Oh... also changed my tires. Looked around and thought Goodyear's Assurance tires would satisfy me the most. So far they're great. Smooth, quiet, good performance, possibly good for better MPG too.

Quick Reply: Better gas mileage