Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

After Market Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Default After Market Radio

Can anyone help me im tryin to install an aftermarket radio in my 99 Seville. I cant seem to find the right power ground and acc wires.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Default RE: After Market Radio

You shouldn't beposting to everyone on this site as that is not how a posting works. Get the Haynes manual like I had to do and it explains everything about the wiring.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM

There has to be someone out there who has done this kind of install. Can someone please tell me what i will need to do. I believe i need to b able to run it to the factory bose system someone please help.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 PM

The cadillac stereos are messed up enough as it is. I think you have to run new speaker cables to all the speakers from the new stereo. The ground cable is usually black and the red or yellow are either assesory or +12. I have my cd player wired both accessory and +12 to the +12, because they turn off 10 minutes after the car is off anyhow. Get a multimeter and start probing the wires to see what gives you 12 volts, both when the car is on and when the key is out, so you know which one is accessory and which one is +12. If I can recall i think the memory/accesorry on mine was a gray cable and then i found 2 more cables also had +12 running so I just wired it to one of them.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Hi welcome to the forum (if thats what you wanna call it) the Cadillac stereos are a real PITA to upgrade. Like others have said, you have to re-run all the speaker wires from the aftermarket deck and if you have a bose stereo, you will also have to replace every speaker for the stock bose speakers will not work with a aftermarket radio. Honestly I have a 2000 STS with a Bose stereo and this will probably be the first car I dont install a aftermarket stereo in. Unless you have a nice chunk of $$$ to get a new headunit, new speakers, re-run the wires, and install everythingall at one time its probably not worth it. I hate having a stock stereo, but since its the Bose setup and has a stock 10" woofer, it doesnt sound half bad. By the way this forum is pretty much dead, you should visit CaddyInfo.com. Has alot more traffic a lots of knowledgable members!!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 AM

Rotsa Ruck, but here's where to find basic power at the factory head unit connections (without factory navigation system):

Orange = battery positive

Black = ground

Yellow/Black = Interior lamp (accessory)

White - Power Antenna

Be aware that these are small gauge wires intended ONLY for the head unit itself. The amplifier for all (I believeand DEFINITELY the Bose) systems is behind the driver side rear seatback. A slightly amplified (not low-level requiring shielded cable) signal for basic left and right is sent to the back seat amplifier where it is further amplified and distributed to the numerous speakers under direction of the class-2 serial control line which governs such things as balance, fade and tone. There is NO direct wiring from the head unit to ANY speaker! The wiring to the factory head unit (again LOW power) is not of sufficient gauge for a replacement unit with more power than even the simplest factory stereo nor will you find wiring for RF, LF, RR an LR leading to the amplifier location much less the speakers themselves!

MAJOR re-wiring job to install an after-market stereo in this car!

I'm no particular fan of Bose, but especially if you have the high-end system (good sized woofer in the center of the rear shelf), I can only suggest that you live with it unless you're highly skilled or want to spend thousands. On a nice autumn day with sunroof open the cops stopped me for "nuisance noise" when I jammed the music I'd just brought back from Turkey. "I know it's loud but it's mainly [except rear door speakers] factory." No distortion and I'm accustomed to Klipsch at home. Transcients aren't then best with the Bose, but I can live with it...

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Not sure which Bose system you have, but if it's the high end version (big woofer in the center of the rear seat shelf), be forewarned that the speakers are propietary. Only the rear door speakers can be directly replaced. The woofers (rear shelf and front doors) have a very unusual design which is far shallower than replacements of the same diameter. The woofer cones are cheap, uncoated paper but don't be deceived by the light weight and small size of the magnets. These are in fact very powerful rare earth magnets. I tried replacing the front door speakers with expensive (and largest I could find that would fit) component speakers of the same impedence. This required fabricating a support ring as speakers of the same diameter were too deep and would hit the window glass when down. After replacing one, I compared. The sound quality of the replacement was better (at least to my ears) but the sound quantity was FAR less with frequence response nowhere near as low. I wound up staying with the factory front door speakers.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Good evening!
I have a 1998 sts...with the bose 4.0 system....
I am all about sound....and to replace this system with something that would sound even close...would cost over 3000 smackers....

I get more comps about this 4.0 system....then I ever have in ANY of the other cars I had...and I had all after market systems.subs...etc.....(jbl)

My 2 fav things about my car....in no order.

1. V8 Star
2. Bose 4.0

Just my 2 cents...Do you have the 4.0 system?? If so...is the sub working?