Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

95 SLS fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Default 95 SLS fuel leak

I have a 95 sls and when i fill the tank I notice that some fuel leaks along the fuel fill line. Has anyone else notice this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Default RE: 95 SLS fuel leak

I'll try to help, but need more info. I have not had this problem, but are familiar with fuel tanks.
Q: Is it when the fuel gauge is at full only?
Q: Is it when the Full fill opening has some spit back occurs?
Q: Is there a rubber hose between the tank and the fuel fill opening-where the pump handle inserts to the Fill cap opening?
Q: Does it leak when you put fuel in?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 PM

It actually leaks as I am putting gas into the car and only then. If I put 10 gallons into the tank i have about a 1 foot diameter circle of gas on the ground from the leak. It leaks from the filler pipe. I have looked to see if I can see a crack or break in the pipe but don't see any. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:10 PM

Sorry, More Q:'s...

Q: Can you tell if the filler neck is metallic and part of the tank, as in one piece?
Q: Is the filler neck clamped to a rubber hose, which is then clamped to the tank?

Why I ask is...... If the filler neck is part of the tank, then regardless, the tank needs to come out for repair. (or keep the tank in, and do something cheap like JBWeld if you can locate the hole)
...... Or, if the filler neck is in two pieces, you can replace the pieces that are visably leaking after removal.

Another thing... I have seen where a tube to vent from the tank gets routed up to the side of the filler neck near the gas cap, but behind the 1/4 panel, maybe that weld connection is corroded???

If you could shove a hose down inside the filler neck a good 3-4 ft, does it still leak? (Be carefull doing this, sometimes in-line check valves and even the spit-back flapper at the opening, can make it difficult to pull the hose back out.)

Let us know???

Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 AM

The filler neck is metallic and does have a vent hose. It is also one piece and fits into a a hose that comes from the gas tank so it is possible to replace the filler pipe. My problem is I can't seem to find a filller pipe to buy online.I have tried doing searches online but can't find a supplier that has it. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 AM

Just a suggestion.....

What if you pressure checked the filler neck/tank fuel fill line.

Get a gas cap, silicon the cap so it doesn't leak, but tap a hose into the cap and connect it to a low pressure air pump. (maybe 3-4 psi).

Then listen, look for air leak?????

Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 PM

Just to finish this post. I ended up ordering the filler pipe and the rubber huse that connects the filler pipe to the gas tank from alldiscountparts.com. The part came in and replaced it. Took about 2 hours. The old filler pipe did have a hole in it about 8 inches down. All is fine now. THANKS FOR EVERYONES INFO!

Old 09-10-2006, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the update.
What do you think caused the hole???

What kind of mileage is on the car?

Is it something we should keep an eye on after we get to the same mileage?

Good job!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 04:24 PM

The car has 95,000 mile on it. It looked light regular rust caused the problem but I find it hard to believe that it would rust this early!! I am not sure if there is a potential problem. The pipe was fairly easy to replace. The hardest problem was taking the old one out.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Default 85 sevelle rear brakes

What purpose is the wire clip on the piston of the rear caliper. The ends attach to the pads but are a bear to keep on when installing the brakes. Is it an anti rattle clip and can I leave off?

Quick Reply: 95 SLS fuel leak