Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

95' Seville STS MISS!!!! idle problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Default 95' Seville STS MISS!!!! idle problems!

Here's the question for my 1995 Seville STS(129k). I've got a really noticable miss in the engine. Seems as if a plug wire has been removed. Brought the car to the dealer and they say the only code they pulled off was for the trans input speed sensor. There's a code P119 (injector shorted/open)presently appearing on the dash readout. Other than that, there are no other current codes.

I checked all points in the ignition system.

Removed and replaced plugs(very whitish sorta like coolant leak) & wires.

Bought 1 new ignition coil pack....dealer recommended and never cleared up miss, (brought back to the auto store).

Pulled all injectors, cleaned and tested. All ohmed out good and I'm getting power to all. I hear clicking in all of them except #7. I replaced it with a new/used one, and no luck. I swapped it with a good clicking one and still no luck. I checked all connections going to #7 and all is well. I then removed the fuel rail and tested the injector removed from intake to see if it would spray with 12v battery directly hooked to it...sure enough, sprayed like a champ.

Could my computer be bad..not sending a signal to open this injector?

I also ohmed out the wire from the supposed "bad" injector that is not clicking all the way to the PCM and it has very low resistance.

Any help here would be appreciated. You can email me at dougcataline@***.net if you have any sorta recommendations for my problem.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT WEBSITE!!!

Old 07-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95' Seville STS MISS!!!! idle problems!

An injector noid light is a great tool for this sort of problem.
Most auto parts stores carry them and are pretty cheap.
The injector should have constant 12v and the PCM controls the grnd side to fire it.
Check for power at the harness and ohm the pcm to injector grnd side.
Make sure all connections are in good shape and no female terminals are spread apart.
If this checkes out ok and the noid light does not flash on this injector then the PCM is the problem.
Wiring issues can be very tricky and misdig is common when good test procedures are not followed.
Good luck.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Default RE: 95' Seville STS MISS!!!! idle problems!

I tested all the circuits and have power and very little resistance to the PCM. I talked to a Caddy tech and he stated the same. The PCM is bad. He also told me the each bank of the injectors fires as a mass this year and I could power the injector not firing by jumping a power lead from the injector next door. Sounded kinda screwy but I tried and sure enough!!! The thing runs like new....for now. THis is a temporary fix while the PCM is on order

All other troubleshooting has ceased at this time and the thing runs like new. I'm a carb type of guy and when this problem arose I had to get smart on the ole' FI stuff.....