Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

92 seville shuts off?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Default 92 seville shuts off?!

i have a 92 Seville. lately while i am driving or sometimes when idling(right after start up) the car shuts off..bout caused an accident today [:'(]

anyone have an idea whats wrong?

Thank You

Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Default RE: 92 seville shuts off?!

can be for lotsa of reasons .... check the fuel filter, check to see how old your wires are, O2 sensors, air filter, spark, plugs, be careful about the plugs if you pull one to check it they recommend changing all the wires with all the spark plugs maybe it just needs a good tune up your question and sysptom description are to vague.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 PM

last time it did this...I tried to turn it back on it wouldnt start back up..took me a few minutes. It runs a little sluggish and when idling the RPMs jump up slightly...its not idling high though..it stops when put in gear

Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 PM

so i had the spark plugs,wires,fuel filter,air filter replaced...not it..but it needed done anyway..could it be the fuel pump or something in the ignition maybe?? this all started after i took it in for an oil change a week ago.i called the place i had it done and asked if they might have hit something was told they couldnt have hit anything that would cause that.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 AM

i guess the other day when my wife was driving she heard a loud click and looked at the instrument cluster and the Trip Distance mileage had reset. She thought she hit the button so she didn't say anything about it. could whatever that was be the problem i am going now to check all the fuses.

I ran the diagnostic again..and 3 new codes showed up. But in history. they were not there when i checked it friday. they were....No distributor or ignition reference signal......Extended travel brake switch input circuit problem.....distributor signal or reference signal interrupt from ignition control module.....[>:]

Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 AM

i took the car to pepboys to run a diagnostic...its the PCM!! How hard is it to replace this yourself?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

It's a box, a small computer,with a few connectors and inside is a PROM (program read only memory). You have to transfer the PROM from your current one to the new one or you get a new one that matches your car. For another $20 pick up one of those Haynesor Chiltons manuals because they usually show you what to do.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM

thank you.
i do have the manual..just wasnt sure if i should do it or not. I am looking for one..i called a trusted parts place..they wanted the PCM number so they could find one that matched so i wouldnt have problems and have to take it somewhere to have it programmed. I can get the PCM from them pretty cheap $100.
Called pep boys again today(car is still there while they looked for a new PCM). the guy said he was running the diagnostic again to make sure because he says its weird that it went bad(a lot of people said that...and that it could be a component)

Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM

heard from pep boys..now its the ECM something about the Injector pulse?? i guess thats why when i did the onboard diagnostic that the ECM was displayed as "ECM?"

how do i fix this myself nothing in the manual...

_______________UPDATE__________________

They just called again..I'm getting my car back tonight! It was the ECM. It was causing the injectors to shut off. I am paying $350..for the dagnostic,part and labor...whew! I thought i was going to get ripped off i was expecting them to say $500 plus

Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

That seems reasonable. For you to do it maybe you would have saved $150 or less. For future reference this puppy is usually under the dash passenger side and a bracket holds it in place maybe two screws with a connector to unplug. Making sure th PROM is right is the biggest issue but they obviously have access to the proper part. It would be one hour labour or less to do.

Quick Reply: 92 seville shuts off?!