Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

2002 Seville STS Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
ot1
Default 2002 Seville STS Headlamps

I have a 2002 Seville STS that has factory High Intensity Discharge headlamps, the right side was dinged good and broke the clear cover, but didn't damage the lamp.Dealer says, the cover is not available separately. The headlamp assembly is availableWITH HID $800 and WITHOUT HID $400. My question is (and the dealer is absolutely NO help) can I use the non-HID assembly and transfer the HID bulbfrom the damaged assembly to the non-HID (half the price!)assembly?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Default RE: 2002 Seville STS Headlamps

I'm not sure if you can use the non HID for the HID that you have, but however I know you can go to a junk yard, pick up a left and a right regular headlamp from a STS and buy a HID kit from ebay with the ballasts and all for $50. All together you can probably get everything for $150 tops. This might be even better because you can choose the exact color of the bulbs and you'll be saving yourself a few hundred dollars over two hours of work maybe.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: NAFTA

I'm not sure if you can use the non HID for the HID that you have, but however I know you can go to a junk yard, pick up a left and a right regular headlamp from a STS and buy a HID kit from ebay with the ballasts and all for $50. All together you can probably get everything for $150 tops. This might be even better because you can choose the exact color of the bulbs and you'll be saving yourself a few hundred dollars over two hours of work maybe.
ditto ...

Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 AM
ot1

Thanks for the junk yard suggestion. My dealer has neither assembly in stock, hence I am unable to determine if the two assemblies are interchangable, minus the HID bulb. But it would seem to me that if you can upgrade a regular non-HID assembly, to HID with an after market kit,thena non-HID assembly should allow parts to be transfered from my damaged HID assembly.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:29 AM
ot1

The junk yard route is a no go, searching the entire state, and ajoining states, they network out. It seemsan online dealer is the only timely solution.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 AM

a standard light will work just fine
the difference lies in the fact the HID has a mount for the ballast

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
ot1

So what you are saying is that the 3 holes on the back bracket(which is is included in the assembly part number along with the capsule) are not drilled for the ballast????? Is that all? I talked to several people at parts houses and the junk yards assured me that the capsules were not interchangable. So I ordered the HID onefrom www. GMpartshouse .com (best prices)yesterday, as a special order(no returns)....I couldn't compare the non-HID parts myself since no-one had them in stock around here....So i guess I just wasted $300 dollars, since the bulb and ballast are OK, the bracket was also damaged but, I do have a drill.[:'(]Crap!!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM

yup
sorry i didnt respond faster
only joined today lol
would you be willing to sell your busted lamp assembly? i wanna try something...

Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
ot1

Well, the online dealer didn't respond to my email plea to switch my order to the non-HID assembly. So in all likelyhoodI am still getting the HID one. It was my intentions since Saturday to sellthe original headlamp assembly on Ebay, to try to recoup part of the unwarranted purchase, it was about $350 difference between HID and non-HID. Too bad I didn't wait until today to order, since it was the holidays anyway. So the answer is YES, I am willing to sell the damaged one. I presume you were interested in HID bulb and ballast as well as the capsule and the cast bracket is in 2 pieces, as it snapped at the thinest part.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:15 PM

with the guts or without actually
i wanna try some things with the lamp and better a damaged on than a good one

Quick Reply: 2002 Seville STS Headlamps