Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

1997 Cadillac Seville STS tampered with by seller ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS tampered with by seller ...

AS IS must vary from state to state. Vehicles sold as a general sale have an implied warranty normally 30 days. AS IS means exactly what it says no warranty, no legal recource, buyer beware. See "auction cars" thread.

Sensor beside sunload sensor is the Ambient Light or Twilight Sentinel Photocell, it's for the automatic headlights.

Cold air problem very possibly the right side air temp actuator.

Blank display which one are you posting about. You could go to local GM dealer and have car scanned for all stored codes in all systems. Being you just got car and want to "do it yourself" get factory service manuals (both books) so your understand whats going on with car.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM

It's the info display, but it isn't blank it's been covered up. I was hoping to find an exploded view of the dash to see if I can get in and remove what is obstructing the view. From there I can see if there are an codes for the climate control. I had no luck going back to the "corner lot" dealer I bought it from. I got a hold of him again today and was pretty much told to "go pound sand".

It is supposed to be a little warmer this weekend, so I should be able to put some time in to it now.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Fraud and tampering with vehicles is illegal in all States with legal recourse allowed, whether AS-IS or not.
In some cases, when fraud is involved, even the "Statues of Limitations" can be set aside.
Cars at auction, salvage title cars, usually do not qualify and its about as close to the AS-IS as it gets.
eBAY anyone? Even there, the AS-IS is limited to the description - meaning, if the seller makes a claim, it better be as seller promised or the AS-IS doesnt apply. Both ebay and paypal will stand by the description, or at least they used to the last time I had to execute a funds reversal.

In CA the "Small Claims" are up to $7,500, I believe.
For that amount, yes, I will pound a lot of sand until someone bleeds cash.
But, does everyone have the energy or motivation to go through that? Doubt it.

I sometimes tell a story of an uncle that bought a car, tampered with by the dealer before the sale.
He got personal plates that showed " GM JUNK", every day he parked it in front of the dealership and every day after work, and on weekends, at the time many people go to the dealerships, he walked up and down the street with a sign and leaflets.

Long story short .. dealer purchased the car back for more than my uncle bought it for and he walked home with a smile.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:17 AM

I did get the heat working. It was mix door behind the glove box. Now that I've had it apart and see how it works, my 97 has an access panel in the back of the compartment. So if need be I can get to it easily and move it manually.

The odd part is that the armature on the motor seemed to be 180 degrees off where it should've been. I ended up removing it, opening the case and moving the armature half-way around. All said and done it is running slightly cooler on the passenger side (it was hard to get apart and back together with out mashing the gears), but it can be adjusted out with the passenger side control. There is still something flakey with the motor adjusting, where it will go past the 90 degree swing and operate backwards again. If I play with the temp settings from auto up/down temp all the way it starts working right again. The motor has been out before, the mounting screw in the back was missing.

Now on to the info display... I'm picking up a Haynes Manual at the library in the morning and then try to locate a Chiltons Manual in town somewhere. Is one better than the other?

As for the dealer, I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB. They'renot members, but since they show no complaints in the last 36 months, maybe it will get me somewhere if there are any major issues I haven't found yet. They also frequently post their cars on Craigslist, so I will give them a black eye there too. If the info dispay has a piece of black tape over it I will be including a picture with my posts on CL. Ibelive you have to notify the buyer if there is a salvage title in MN, so that shouldn't be the case.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM

The Chilton's manual was the better of the two. I got the dash apart, removed the instrumentation cluster and pulled that apart. Then I removed the piece of electrical tape that was covering the info display and got the whole thing back together.

So far I know I'm low on windshield fluid (kinda cool) and it's time for an oil change.

The only codes I'm showing current are for the broken right front mirror,B2149 & B2150.

C1232 & C1233, left and right front wheel speed for the traction control.

...and the ACM code B1341, Air Mix Door 2 Fault. Does anybody know if the motor that runs the mix door has a built-in "home position" sensor. I'm guessing since it is a stepper motor driving it, it must have something somewhere that is telling it where it is currently at. Sometimes it works right sometimes it runs opposite.

Thanks!!