Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

spare parts to keep in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:22 PM
jim
Default spare parts to keep in trunk

I was wondering if any allante owners out there have a favorites that they keep for emergency parts in trunk. I only have a serpentine belt, an extra 892 bulb, tool kit, car wax and buffing cloth. It seems like I will need to get a break relay, if one becomes avail. to purchase as would be tough to be stranded out in boonies, and no one to be had.(Bill Coats sees how difficult to obtain one),But I was wondering if anyone gave it some thought as to what one cancarry in ones trunk for emergency, within the limits of being practical, any thoughts? Jim

Old 10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: spare parts to keep in trunk

Actually, for the boonies, I have a bass rod rod with a purple culprit attached, 44 magnum and sunscreen, Next to me I have a cell phone to call for a tow, If near saltwater I also have a lightweight ugly stick with a fake shrimp lure, 44 magnum and sunscreen. Still have the same celll phone to call for a tow.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM
jim

44 magnum and sunscreen, thats great! You can shoot your allante and put it out of it's misery!!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jim

44 magnum and sunscreen, thats great! You can shoot your allante and put it out of it's misery!!
There were times 13 years ago when I first got it that I thought about shooting it. Now everything is working fine and it is "Stayin Alive".

Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jim

I was wondering if any allante owners out there have a favorites that they keep for emergency parts in trunk. I only have a serpentine belt, an extra 892 bulb, tool kit, car wax and buffing cloth. It seems like I will need to get a break relay, if one becomes avail. to purchase as would be tough to be stranded out in boonies, and no one to be had.(Bill Coats sees how difficult to obtain one),But I was wondering if anyone gave it some thought as to what one cancarry in ones trunk for emergency, within the limits of being practical, any thoughts? Jim
A 892 bulb? Why? You couldnt install it on the road if you needed to and if it goes out, who cares. My '88 is the original going on 20yrs old.

What is car wax?

The following items i carry next to the spare tire, under the cover.

serpentine belt shrink wrapped to avoid oxygen deterioration,
tail light bulbs,
assortment of fuses,
flares,
top pull-down,
duct tape,
50 ft of 12 gauge wire,
crank charging light,
tire plug kit,
lower rad hose,
wet-wipes,
tube of Gold Bars Leak,
gas tank leak seal, epoxy,
gloves,
roll of quarters, some paper cash
insurance cards,
a .38 special,
shop towels,

In the trunk I carry:
- Cadillac blankets, hats, jackets and sun screen,
- air pump, jumpers and spot light in one small duffel bag,
- Owners Manual and FSM
- rain umbrella
- beach chair, beach towel, beach umbrella, boogie board
- binoculars, camera,
- paper pad, pencil, calculator
- CB case unit
- box with emergency water, food, M&M's, gatorade
- bat, gloves, *****
- custom medicine case
- Boy Scouts "10 Essentials plus"
- change of clothes, socks, razor,
- interior cover
- two rifles, machete
- two flight line tool bags, one of METRIC tools, one of English tools.

I still got an empty compartment behind the driver's seat for more stuff when i travel.
My glove box is empty of goodies and valuables as is the center console .. except for the phone charger.
Temptation in a rag top is not a good thing.
If they cant see it, it aint there.

and there is still plenty of room to stuff a body ..
cell phone always in my pocket, next to the AAA card.
dont ask .. why do i carry all that if i use AAA? didnt i say, dont ask?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM

Wow Zal, you'd think you were joining a wagon train at St Louis heading "west."
I used to have a small vinyl box in my trunk with a few goodies like flares, a top pull-down motor,belt ect: but then I had a talk with my local garage owner. Since I replaced my brake relay with my Hussey kit, (pump, ac***ulator and master cylinder) a thousand miles ago, I now carry a top pull-down motor. And that's it.
Everything else can be had anywhere on the road in the U.S. without more than an hours wait. I've never had to use a flare on the road in my life and I carry a triple "A" card.
After a while you seem to grow into "being realistic." Plus you've got to learn to "keep the faith." In my "standard car driving days as I do today, I carry the factory supplied jack, spare tire,and wrench, along with a flashlight and small fire extinguisher.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
jim

I think that Bill keeps a computer in his trunk, programed to pick the teams with the proper handicaps, he must have let the battery go down when he bet GARY

Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Stealth is ready to drive his allante to Iraq. Bill, find another computer.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Seriously, I would like to go back to the "fire extinguisher."
I've been carrying one in all my cars since an incident in 1973. Had a Chevy Caprice wagon at the time and was on an interstate with my wife, her mother, two kids and a dog in the car. Hit a chuckhole that I tried dodging at 70 MPH with the left rear wheel. The wagon had a saddle gas tank mounted in the left wheel well and held to the car with one galvanized strap. When I hit the hole all the threads in the bolt holding the strap stripped letting the tank fall. It cleared the tire but was trapped and dragged under the car and ruptured.
I heard the bang and heard the tank dragging, pulled into the breakdown lane and got everyone out of the car while watching some flames about 75 feet behind the car approaching slowly. If I had a fire extinguisher I could have simply stopped the fire well behind the car but since I didn't, I just had to watch it until it engulfed the car. Watched a perfect fine one year old car totalled and caused a 10 mile back-up on the interstate. (have carried extinguishers ever since.)
As an aftermath; went into the local Chevy dealer where I had purchased the wagon the next morning and explained what happened thinking they would call GM immediately and let them know of a serious problem that could easily happen. Looked under a new 74 in the showroom and guess what? One galvanized strap holding the tank up. And no one in the dealership cared one hoop. So no new Chevy wagon purchased there. Went two blocks down to the Ford dealer and told them my story. We all walked over to a new Ford wagon and crawled underneath. Guess what was holding the saddle tank to the car? One galvanized strap. However, Ford had routed the exhaust pipe under the tank and affixed a hanger to the frame next to the tank which would have kept the tank up even with a strap failure. They were quite sympathetic and not only sold me a new wagon but I bought myself a brand new Ranchero "with the big engine" that got 8 MPG.
Check out the dates "1973" (does anyone remember the gas shortage and the 55 MPH speed limit in the 70's) Not my smartest car purchase.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hey, if you don't have one, throw a small extinguisher into the trunk. There might not be an 18 wheeler handy when you need him........................

Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I don't drive the Allante too much anymore. Putting a fire extinguisher in the trunk of the vette would be like pissing on a forrest fire.
I do think it is something that everyone should have though. Ya never know.
The things I mentioned before are in the trunk of my car, but addtionally I do keep an AED defirillator.Hopefully not for me, Can't get the Navymedic out of me.

Quick Reply: spare parts to keep in trunk