Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Painted or modified Cadillac Allante GRILLs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default Painted or modified Cadillac Allante GRILLs

I removed the grill emblem, i call it the grill pimple.

now, I am seeing more and more of this trend plus paint and I believe that they make the Allante cars look so slick and smooth.

carnut painted the "grill surround" ..

there are others .. hopefully they will come forward and post pictures ..

Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Default RE: Painted or modified Cadillac Allante GRILLs

Obviously you want opinions!
Personally I bought my car because it was a unique Cadillac and not because it was a Farina designed Italian car. I like what was done to the trim and the Cadillac emblems would be the last thing I would ever remove from my car. On the one pictured, the Cadillac crest was removed leaving something strange in the center and another round emblem placed off on the right side of the grill making the car look "off balance." (to me.)
The only thing "not-stock"on my car is a gold Cadillac crest which I have affixed to my center brake light lens.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Stealth as you know I have taken the Cadillac emblem off the front grille and think the car looks much better w/o it. Haven't had the guts take a Dremel tool to the screw holes so I've just blackened them out.

California Bill Miller's white out is a great application. Pa. Bill Miller has both a black painted and chrome grille. His black grille looks great on his black '93 (your color). I have seen a grille painted red on a red car (my color) and hated it. Guess it's a case by case decision.

Love painted lower ground effects.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Tech Certified Members

here are a few grills from Cadillac Allantes .....

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/B658214DAB8A491D9AA1062394B02074.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/02E5B61A2106479EABA30BC6E3AFB995.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/BE84C1DE2E70479D94F9E50A4BE7FF9B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/57B2DCCB870246BB8802DEF3689607AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hyperion

Obviously you want opinions!
Personally I bought my car because it was a unique Cadillac and not because it was a Farina designed Italian car. I like what was done to the trim and the Cadillac emblems would be the last thing I would ever remove from my car. On the one pictured, the Cadillac crest was removed leaving something strange in the center and another round emblem placed off on the right side of the grill making the car look "off balance." (to me.)
The only thing "not-stock"on my car is a gold Cadillac crest which I have affixed to my center brake light lens.
clarification ..
- the strange thing is the mount for the grill badge and normally it is very hard to see it, except for the flash that Bill used .. I believe that Bill C. painted it to assure it wouldnt stand out.
- the round thing you see, I believe is the AAG badge of the original Allante Appreciation Club.

I am a little like you.

I like the Cadillac script on the steering wheel, I like it on the tail light, I like it on the trunk light, I like it on the air filter assy, looks great on the GOLD keys, I dont even mind the wheel centers .. but the grill .. no ...
it is of my opinion that it breaks the smoothness of design, I believe that Pinifarina would not have dont it except for a Cadillac contract that put a restriction on that part.

I would also point out that I would not start adding more badges .. ie: seats, floor mats, soft top, hard top, hood emblems, etc .. when I see that, all i see is excessive, a bit much for a stealthy guy.

So you see, I am not trying to hide the fact that it is a Cadillac, although if one is honest .. we accept
that the body work is NOT Cadillac, it is Pinifarina by design and by manufacturing - them Italian folks
designed it, they built it, they painted it - but strangly enough, they didnt buy it. I have yet to hear
of any Allantes in Italy.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

That "something strange" is the Pininfarina emblem taken from the front fender of a wreck to cover the center hole. The other emblem is, in fact, an original Allante' club badge.I had also removed the Cadillac script from the taillight. All this for a couple of reasons, I personalize ALL my cars, and I've always believed this car was more Italian than American. I'm of the opinion that we dont need no stinking badges! In other words less is more. If I could have, I would have removed the side emblems as well.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

the more I look at that black grill, on the BLACK Allante, the more it really looks nice ..

Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Black grille on red car is growing on me, of course w/o the Caddy emblem.

Carnut, did you take the script off both taillights? I'm thinking of Allante on each side.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wcoates

Carnut, did you take the script off both taillights? I'm thinking of Allante on each side.
If you put allante script on both sides, everyone will know what youhave.No more "what is that?" IMO clean is better.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wcoates

Fox may like the idea .. Allante on one side, Amante on the other.

Bill, You already have Cadillac on the steering wheel, Allante in the passenger side by the glove box .. you know what the car is .. what more does one need?

Other than possibly damaging tail arrays costing $500 each, carnut is right .. I just cant get myself to doing that.

Quick Reply: Painted or modified Cadillac Allante GRILLs