Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

GEL Battery - Cadillac Allante

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Gel Battery - Cadillac Allante

ORIGINAL: hyperion

I honestly don't know. They were all chemical when I retired. The Debonaire I fly now still has the liquid battery and the only aircraft I have ever heard of using the "Gell" are those specifically used for aerobatic flying. This could have changed mby now as the Gell has been around for many more years in the motorcycle industry.
I still have not heard of one auto manufacturer in the world who installs a gell battery at the factory. Even those with the batteries in the car, (Prius) use a vented standard 12 volt.
i believe it is the battery of choice for those that push the envelope..
- aerobatic flying, 4x4 wheeling, bikers, and ......... .......

i wouldnt expect a Prius to fit that criteria.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM

One thing I have noticed since new gel battery. I thought I had a leaking heater core. Could not smell anything but the window would lightly haze up. Cleaned it with different kinds of cleaner and it came back after 1 or 2 days. it has been over 2000 km's and it has not hazsed again. It was a white film that left no dirt on paper towels and was very difficult to remove, lots of elbo work. I have a deville right now that needs a heater core. I can smell it every day and it doesn't dirty my windows. So I am wondering if gases from a battery can leave some sort of deposit on inside of windows?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: cap4000

One thing I have noticed since new gel battery. I thought I had a leaking heater core. Could not smell anything but the window would lightly haze up. Cleaned it with different kinds of cleaner and it came back after 1 or 2 days. it has been over 2000 km's and it has not hazsed again. It was a white film that left no dirt on paper towels and was very difficult to remove, lots of elbo work. I have a deville right now that needs a heater core. I can smell it every day and it doesn't dirty my windows. So I am wondering if gases from a battery can leave some sort of deposit on inside of windows?
NO .. the GEL wont leave a film, to the best of my kowledge, there is nothing to do that .

most likely the film is gasing from the dashboard and interior vinyl surfaces specially if you applied a cream to them and the sun bakes it.

BTW, going price at Costco? $135 for a type 15 red top.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM

don't have a the problem since I got the Gel... I was wondering about the old battery ?

hey stealth is that charlie sheen hanging on the back of the allante ?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: cap4000

don't have a the problem since I got the Gel... I was wondering about the old battery ?

hey stealth is that charlie sheen hanging on the back of the allante ?
dont know about the old battery but i have seen carpets and upholstery fall apart with acid fumes.

ahhh .. you seen the movie?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 AM

yes... I bought the Laserdisc way back then..... still a fun movie to watch. I haven't watched it in a decade or so. Time again though, as i have a red allante now.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

isnt he trying to save the girl in the trunk of the car?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 AM

a prettyKGB spy (Nastassja Kinski).

off topic eh!

I love my Gel-Cell

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

When you watch it, see how many Allante related errors you can spot ...
still a good moive .. that is the movie that got me to buy my '88.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Default Factory battery vent tube assembly

[QUOTE=cap4000;9181]I found this behind my battery cover, any one have an idea what it could be or where it belongs. (Allante 90)

thanks in advance for any info.

====================

MODERATOR EDIT

Quick Reply: GEL Battery - Cadillac Allante