Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Cadillac Allante Digital dash / cluster got wet

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default Cadillac Allante Digital dash / cluster got wet

She got left out for the night on her homecoming, topless .. a freak un-expected shower at 4 am gave her a bath.
She probably got 10 minutes of heavy rain before she got her nakedness covered, water dripping off the dash and seats. That is how long it takes to jump out of bed at 4 am, find the keys, and run down the hill in a downpour.

After wiping down, I dont see water marks under the clear lenses. Probably no water got under, but .. I dont
know. so today, MY '92 .. is in the sun for the 2nd day, sunbathing and drying out, battery disconnected to
avoid any shorts on the digital dash, maybe Dick can chine in and talk about that possibility?

Dick .. you out there?

Anyone else that knows what to do after a digital dash gets wet ?

slowroll ?
Katz ?
Fox ?
brougham ?
zinzin ?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Cadillac Allante Digital dash / cluster got wet

Stealth - I believe an extended stay at the car spa is in order for the lady...

Massage, facial, paint.

A gift of new shoes would probably be appropriate as well.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Fox,

sounds very reasonable to me.
whatever it takes so she ( the '92 ) is not mad at me for too long.

I just hope that the other lady ( the '88 ) is not making fun of her and making matters worse.

where should i leave the keys?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

Its a wait and see unfortunately. Convertibles are generally built to handle some oufs...Because rain can come unexpectedly.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

I know they are supposed to make the convertibles to take some rain. They are also supposed to make tail lights that dont melt with the heat of the light bulbs, and visors that stay up. The good thing is that by '92, they did have visors that stayed up and tail light arrays that dont melt. AHHHH ! Going by that, maybe I can assume that if there was any sensitivity to rain, the Cadillac design team got it under cotnrol .. after all, it was the model year #6.

I disconnected the battery right after the incident and has been with no electrical power since then, in the sun ..
I did that to avoid any current leaks or jumps anywhere .. just playing safe. Is not like I "need" the car.

We have had 75F and lots of sunny weather since that rain. Also, it got pretty windy, dry warm winds - good thing.

The carpets were covered with the plastic protector pads - for grease shoes i guess.
otherwise I would have close her up some and put in a space heater to dry her out.

Seats being leather, just got a cleaning.

hopefully she will be very dry and safe to re-power by next week..
I got my fingers crossed .. toes also ...

Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 PM

So how did your car respond after getting wet??? I need guidance here!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Has anybody ever seen the Message "System Fault" on the DIC? Any probable causes? Any fixes?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

System fault normally relates to data line problem. Codes? Did interior receive unplanned bath?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 AM

Yes it did, a good one. I did start it and drive it home. But 3 days later it was a no go. And it was hot and steamy those 3 days. Presently I'm cleaning ground terminals and chasing ghosts.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

without your stating what happened, not much to go on ..

the message "System Fault" is a routine message on many Allante, relates to data line, meaning all engine and some transmission functions. Like slowroll said, you gotta pull the codes to see what is affected. if the DIC goes dead, you got a serious problem as self-diagnosis will not be available.

MY car did OK .. but .. I took immediate action:
- disconnected battery
- opened every compartment, doors
- parked car in full sun for several days
- kept a high velocity fan going, aimed at under-dash

carpets .. there I didnt do it well .. a scent lingers.
I believe that the fix is to pull the carpets and wash them in the patio with a good sanitizing soap and of course clean the floor boards well.

I was advised to pull the carpets ASAP, wash them, and clean sanitize them .. I was not able to get to them so here I am now. not really a problem since currently the car is in storage .. too many cars to insure.

if your car is totally dead, my guess is that the worst nightmare I had happened to you .. the dreaded SHORT CIRCUIT and TERMINATION of a component(s) ...

details ?

Last edited by Stealth; 08-10-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Allante Digital dash / cluster got wet