starting problems

Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Default starting problems

Hello all, i drive a 89' fleetwood FWD 4.5 with 255k miles on it. Its been good to me but whenever i start the car it will take a second and kind of start but then stop starting then it will start sometimes after a second or two pause. It does it if its hot/cold/just ran unser any condition. Its been doing it for about a year though. I figured its eaither the starter going or the altenator going. But if the starters going wouldnt it make that alfull noise that starters make like its not catching? My problem sounds more like silence then it starts. I figure maybe its the altenator because ive already had the spark plugs changed on a tune up about 10k miles ago and a couple months ago. Could it be something else?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: starting problems

I would make sure the battery connections are solid and making good contact especially the ground. The battery could also be a trouble spot, how is your battery? You can clean up the connections so that any corrosion is taken away with either a fine steel wool or fine sand paper. Follow the ground wire to where ever it is grounded too and make sure that connection is good. Tighten down the battery connections well.

I have seen cars that will start and drive for miles then not start, but just a jiggle of the ground wire and presto it fires up.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 PM

thanks, its a pretty new battery but ill check the connections.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey Fleet: Some things to consider with your stalling during starting. What condition are your plug wires in?? Has the fuel filter been changed lately?? More in depth things could be a poor connection or open circuit in the black and yellow ignition signal wire, a poor connection or open circuit in the coolant temp. sensor. It also wouldn't hurt to have a look at you EGR valve and related hoses. Good luck.....................

Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 AM

I had a similar problem, although mine would take about 10 trys to start it, but then it would start up as long as I didnt let it sit to long, but you say everytime huh? My problem was in the ignition coil. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Certified Members

isn't the starter going bad guys?????? imo of course......
rickyd

Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

Hello all, i drive a 89' fleetwood FWD 4.5 with 255k miles on it. Its been good to me but whenever i start the car it will take a second and kind of start but then stop starting then it will start sometimes after a second or two pause. It does it if its hot/cold/just ran unser any condition. Its been doing it for about a year though. I figured its eaither the starter going or the altenator going. But if the starters going wouldnt it make that alfull noise that starters make like its not catching? My problem sounds more like silence then it starts. I figure maybe its the altenator because ive already had the spark plugs changed on a tune up about 10k miles ago and a couple months ago. Could it be something else?
i would jump in, but i am still trying to figure out what the bolded means ...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

stealth...i think the bolder is saying the starter is dragging.......imo... i think start means turn-over...................
rickyd

Old 10-14-2007, 05:12 PM

lol, ya thats what i meant by the bold. sorry about that

Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Try replacing the starter, then go from there. It cant hurt if its the wrong part, Im sure youll have to replace alot of things on that car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starting problems