Key Fob intermitternly unlocks car

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 08:11 PM
Default Key Fob intermitternly unlocks car

Last
week my fob wouldn't unlock car in the morning but during the heat of the day it worked and then at night stopped working.
I knew CCM or BCM was behind rear seat, so I removed seat and removed CCM . I opened it and looked for bad connections, but all seemed ok.
Then I read there is another module for the door locks and alarm system. It it located in the area of the third brake light on the rear seat deck.
I opened it and it has 2 boards, one is the processor and the other the receiver. I checked for bad connections on both as best I could but all looked ok.
I used a blow dryer and found when I heated the Processor board the fob worked. I have a secret way of trying to find which area of the board might be the problem.
I very lightly wet a finger, dampen it and touch around the board. I found if I touched the chip marked 3773 the fob worked. Soldering the chip leads and 2 associated components , a 1.5uf cap and a 10k surface resister worked for a while but then stopped. So I replaced the cap and the resister and so far it worked. The chip is called a "Watch-dog timer" and usually a cap is the timing component. I believe the Cap was the offending part and time will tell.